Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I plug the Arlo base-station into an Orbi Satellite?

stealthpilot
Aspirant

Can I plug the Arlo base-station into an Orbi Satellite?

I recently upgraded from the Apple Airport Extreme (I was running 4 Extremes as a mesh) to Orbi (I have a basestation and 3 Orbi Satellites).

With the Apples if I connected the Arlo basestation to the Airport Extreme Satellite units, I would find that the Arlo would end up dropping the IP link to the camera (i.e cameras would get orphaned) and I would have to repair the cameras.  It happened so frequently this setup was unusable.

The challenge is that my modem isn't in a central location and I have 6 cameras around the house.  I solved this by using an AC1200 powerline extender to connect the Arlo to the Apple basestation.

Since swapping this out to Orbi, I find the powerline extender isn't working as well.  Connection gets lost more often.

Should I try plugging the Arlo into an Orbi Satellite or perhaps even add a 4th Orbi satellite to optimize location and plug Arlo into that?

Message 1 of 2
loomis1975
Luminary

Re: Can I plug the Arlo base-station into an Orbi Satellite?

I would try plugging the Arlo into the nearest existing Satellite to an optimal location and see if the disconnections stop happening before adding another satellite to the mix.  Are you experiencing any other disconnections?  I ask because you have a router and three satellites, thats a lot of wifi using the same SSID.  Depends on how spread out they are I guess.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7