Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I reverse the gigahertz on the base unit and satellite

Annalynne
Aspirant

Can I reverse the gigahertz on the base unit and satellite

I had problems and had to reset my Wi-Fi unit. My satellite now is 5 GHz and the base is 2.4 GHz. I need the satellite to be 2.4 because I had to put it very high up as I have a basement apartment and I need to reach my smart doorbell. I had set it up before with no problems until I reset my Wi-Fi. I have seen before where people cannot separate out this is a different question. The satellite is positioned on the wall by the ceiling so that it reaches above to the doorbell and it works relatively well except now I can’t connect. Looking in my app it shows that the satellite is now the 5 GHz connection I need that one to be the 2.4 GHz connection how can I change them? Since the doorbell needs to reach the satellite and requires a 2.4 connection can somebody please help thank you
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can I reverse the gigahertz on the base unit and satellite

Try this? 

try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

2.4Ghz devices will only see and connect to 2.4Ghz signals, they will never connect to a 5Ghz signal. They do not have the capability to do that. 

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Annalynne wrote:
I had problems and had to reset my Wi-Fi unit. My satellite now is 5 GHz and the base is 2.4 GHz. I need the satellite to be 2.4 because I had to put it very high up as I have a basement apartment and I need to reach my smart doorbell.

If this is an Orbi WiFi system, this is not possibleEvery Orbi unit (router and all satellites) broadcast both a 2.4G and a 5G WiFi signal.

What is the model of Orbi and model of doorbell?

Message 3 of 10
Annalynne
Aspirant

It’s sky bell HD for the doorbell, which I hate but it’s what I have, and I can’t find the model number on the Orbi. But it’s supposed to be a tri-band mash and it says Orbi 40
Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Annalynne wrote:
It’s sky bell HD for the doorbell, which I hate but it’s what I have, and I can’t find the model number on the Orbi. But it’s supposed to be a tri-band mash and it says Orbi 40

The model number is usually printed on a label on the bottom of the router unit, something like RBR50.  That's not important now that it is clear that this is an Orbi WiFi system.

By "I had problems and had to reset my Wi-Fi unit" does that mean (a) turning it off and back on or pressing something into the tiny "Reset" hole quickly, or (b) doing a Factory Reset: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

What is the app showing that leads you to the conclusion about WiFi frequencies?

How did the doorbell installation go?  The setup instructions are really detailed compared to most "Internet of Things" (IoT) devices.

i.e. speed tested OK. https://skybell.com/installation/installation-quick-setup-guide/ 

Message 5 of 10
Annalynne
Aspirant

Well it says orbi 40 like I said above, but I didn’t think that was the model number the samples on their app are long numbers. I am unable to upload a picture here because using my phone to take a screenshot ends up with a picture in a different format than they allow here for some reason. But, on the Orbi app if you click on the network it shows your base and what it’s connected to, and it shows that I’m connected to the satellite. When you tap on the satellite it tells you the information about it and showed that it’s the 5 GHz connection on the satellite. However, I was able to finally connect the sky bell by walking away from it as I was setting it up. I had been using my phone and standing near the doorbell and I think that’s why it had a strong signal and picked up on the 5 GHz. When I came back inside my apartment to complete the install instead of waiting by the doorbell, it connected to the 2 GHz. So now when I clicked on the satellite, it shows that the device is connected to the satellite is the sky bell and it is on a 2.4 GHz connection. So although that worked something is wrong because I’m not getting any pictures or activity coming through even though it says I’m connected. It should have a strong connection as it did before I reset, but it does not it shows low connection and I don’t know what to do nothing else has changed. It was working fine before I reset my router. I had to reset, By pushing in the little tiny hole with the pin, because of a problem with my laptop. My laptop continually drops Internet sometimes it requires an update on my laptop, or just a restart. But nothing was working this time. It’s telling me there’s a problem with the network adapter. So I reset the router and then it connected, until I went to click on an Internet link to go online. Since resetting my router I have now been able to connect all of my cameras and devices except for my laptop. I don’t know why it won’t work. But before I reset it, two Orby options appeared in my Wi-Fi settings options to connect to, but now only one does. So I had the option to select between 2 GHz and 5 GHz but the option is now gone. Anyway I don’t know how to fix the sky bell or the computer. But my phone and iPad, Google home Are working, And again, sky bell is connected but not working. I know that sounds like a sky bell problem and although sky bell is not without its issues, it was working prior to this reset
Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 10
vajim
Master

what might help is if you can provide more info when you stated this.....

"I had problems and had to reset my Wi-Fi unit."

What happended?  Was everything working fine before the problem?  Who did the initial install?

firmware updates????

Message 8 of 10
Annalynne
Aspirant

I believe I provided that information probably in subsequent comments. There was a problem with connecting to the Internet with my laptop only. It’s been an ongoing problem for some time that I have to keep shutting down and restarting or updating the computer or fooling around for long periods of time trying to figure out what the problem is. But it was only on the laptop, my other devices continue to function even when it would not. This time, there was nothing that I could do to get it corrected. I kept getting messages that there was problems with the network adapter. So I tried fixing that to no avail. So I tried to do a reset of the router hoping it would reinstall with corrections automatically made on the laptop. It seemed to work, it showed a Wi-Fi connection, but when I went to actually get on the Internet that connection dropped and I could not get it back. Of course once I reset the router I had to reinstall all of my other devices. After the reset of the Orbi, there is no longer two Orbi connections to choose from under my Wi-Fi options on any device. Only one. Whereas before they were two. Pardon me, there is a guest option, too, but I’m not counting that one. I used to be able to choose to sign into either the 5 GHz or the 2.4 GHz as they were separated out by name. After the reset they no longer are there is only one name given. I have to rely on the Orbi to select the right option. It was not selecting the right option when I was trying to install the doorbell. It was not selecting the 2.4 GHz option for the doorbell therefore I could not install it. How I corrected that was to push the button on the doorbell and then walk away from it with my phone. using the app at a greater distance from the doorbell seems to have gotten the Orbi to use the 2.4 GHz and the doorbell is now connected and status shows as online. However I am not getting any images. I get notifications that captures have been made, but it shows no activity when I go to view activity, and I cannot watch anything in live view. This was working perfectly fine , Sky bell issues aside which is a totally unrelated thing, until I reset the Orbi. I still can not connect to my laptop.
Message 9 of 10
vajim
Master

@Annalynne wrote:
I After the reset of the Orbi, there is no longer two Orbi connections to choose from under my Wi-Fi options on any device. Only one. Whereas before they were two.

Under a true Mesh network there is only one SSID.

sounds like you have a couple of issues going on....

1.  the laptop wifi - perhaps the adapter needs updating.  Try connecting the laptop straight to either your modem or the Orbi router.

2.  The Skybell issue appears to be another cases where a device will ONLY connect with a certain freq.  In this case 2.4?  If so, you'll need to address the how the skybell actuallt connects (iphone?) and go from there.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/td-p/164756...

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7