Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I setup Orbi on remote MoCA outlet in AP mode?

fairoaksdave
Aspirant

Can I setup Orbi on remote MoCA outlet in AP mode?

I have a very long, disjointed (u-shaped) house and would like to use Orbi to improve wifi at end that does not have existing wifi router.  I have capabiliity of connecting MoCA adapter at the furthest point for hard wire connection.  Can I plug in the Mobi router to that MoCA connection and put into AP mode, then place the satellite anywhere else in the house I want?   If not, what would be a better configuration.

I am trying to preserve the existing Netgear R6700 router that is less than 6 months old.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

The Orbi needs to be connected to the R6700.

Message 2 of 5
fairoaksdave
Aspirant

If the Mobi needs to be connected to the R6700 then is there really any benefit to having the R6700, given that they would be in the same room?  I'm assuming the router with the Mobi would have all the same functionality, right?  Also, if that was the case, would it make more sense to get a model with two satellites?

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

It's up to you, You can keep the R6700 as the main router if it's been working well for you and use the ORBI as AP. Just disable the wifi on R6700 and configure the ORBI in AP mode. or use the ORBI as your main router. It's flexible. 

Message 4 of 5
st_shaw
Master

@fairoaksdave wrote:

I have a very long, disjointed (u-shaped) house and would like to use Orbi to improve wifi at end that does not have existing wifi router.  I have capabiliity of connecting MoCA adapter at the furthest point for hard wire connection.  Can I plug in the Mobi router to that MoCA connection and put into AP mode, then place the satellite anywhere else in the house I want?   If not, what would be a better configuration.

I am trying to preserve the existing Netgear R6700 router that is less than 6 months old.

I haven't done it myself, but yes you should be able to use the MoCA adapter to connect the Orbi "router" in AP mode to the R6700 router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7