Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I use Orbi RBR50/RBS50 as WiFi access point as part of home wired network?

SergioRZ
Aspirant

Can I use Orbi RBR50/RBS50 as WiFi access point as part of home wired network?

Hi All,

I've been using one ORBI RBR50 and two RBS50 satellites in my current home. Internet comes in via coaxial cable connected to the ISP router, from there it connects to the RBK50 via ethernet cable, and the RBK50 talks to the RBS satellites using wifi. (provider router has wifi disabled and it's not doing anything other than taling to the RBK unit, all routing, DHCP and so on, is being handled by the RBK Orbi talking to network clients and satellites). 

So far so good, all dandy!

Now, in a couple of weeks I'm moving to a new home where things are quite different.

On my new home I will have in-wall wired ethernet cable/ports on all rooms of all floors. That opens up other possibilities.

I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to use the 3 piece Orbi System there... and make it work with the existing network.

On my new home there will also be a router from the ISP. I will probably want to use it for routing, DHCP, and everything else (maybe even its own wifi network)... it will be connected to the central switch unit that distributes ethernet LAN around the house.

To keep things simple in terms of networking (bridging and NAT and other stuff when there are two routers) my first idea was to stop using the Orbi as a router, and make all 3 units work as WiFi/Lan access points, connecting the RBK main unit to the ethernet wired network (at a different location from the ISP router). Would that work? Would it still be mesh wifi? Certainly no mesh between ORBI and the ISP router wifi, but the Orbi 3 piece system should work right?

Thank you very much for any help you can provide 🙂

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can I use Orbi RBR50/RBS50 as WiFi access point as part of home wired network?

A huge consideration is where that 'wiring hub' is located within the house.

• If the hub is in a good location for a WiFi access point, why not do the same thing as in the new house as in the old house:
    • Connect the Orbi router to the ISP device.
    • Disable WiFi and routing on the ISP device.
    • Take advantage of the in-house wiring to place the Orbi satellites where the whole house is covered with WiFi.
  • If the hub is in a crummy location (basement, corner of garage, etc. etc.), then do the same thing except use the in-house wiring to place the Orbi router in a good location and connect the satellites over WiFi as they are now.
Message 2 of 4
SergioRZ
Aspirant

The main reason to change would be to simplify the network... I can't remember exactly why, but I had to put the ISP router and the RBK router in different subnets, so let's say the ISP router is x.x.1.1 and the RBK router is x.x.2.1 (and then all IP addresses in the network are provided by DHCP running on the RBK in that x.x.2.x range).

This might not be optimal and has caused some issues when trying to access devices when I'm away... it probably wasn't possible to completely disable the router function on the ISP device...

So for the new home I'll try to keep everything in the same network subnet to avoid any issues.

It's also nice to have two separate wifi networks in the house, I could setup the ISP router wifi just for guests, and keep the Orbi Wifi or private use... or something like that.

In any case, to use the ORBI like that I have to set it as "Access Point" in the router settings, right? Then it just gets an IP from the network and all three ORBI devices should talk to each other without issues, right?

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

One thing to watch out for is that the Orbi expects satellites to be connected through the LAN ports (not through the WAN port).

So, if the Orbi is connected to one of the ISP LAN ports, the Orbi satellites should not be connected to the ISP router LAN ports.

There are lots of possibilities. Good that you are "thinking ahead".

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7