Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I use Orbi and a wifi extender in the same house?

dosser
Aspirant

Can I use Orbi and a wifi extender in the same house?

Hello,

I am using an Orbi system with 3 satellites right now.  I have a cat5 run from the orbi wireless router to my gameroom I would like to leverage as well.  Is it possible to use a cabled wifi extender or a switch in conjunction with the orbi system?  If i get an extender that can plug directly into the orbi wireless router that has ports to plug my system directly into, will this mess up my wireless network somehow (like confusing laptops which network to log into)?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
rhester72
Virtuoso

I strongly suggest you keep the SSID for any extenders different from that of Orbi - which makes extenders a poor choice for roaming but great for niche static/fixed solutions (for example, reaching a far-distant Ring doorbell).

Rodney

Message 2 of 4

@dosser wrote:

Hello,

Is it possible to use a cabled wifi extender or a switch in conjunction with the orbi system?  If i get an extender that can plug directly into the orbi wireless router that has ports to plug my system directly into, will this mess up my wireless network somehow (like confusing laptops which network to log into)?

to avoid confusion here the term is wireless access point and not extender , and yes can do that but i would ask why , as with the orbi router and 3 sats your house muct already be saturated with wifi signal and i dont really see a need for more wifi 

you can however just connect a switch on that cable run in the games room to connect your none wifi devices 

------------

if you really wanted to have a separate wifi system for the games room you would get a wireless router and run it it AP mode ( something like a netgear r7000) and set its ssid and password different to that of the orbi and set different channels for both its 2.4 gig and 5 gig and this should be able to work along side the orbi system without causing too much issues but again why is the orbi system not already covering that area with the router and 3 sats 

Message 3 of 4
dosser
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I actually have a dedicated line to the room where my gaming setup is and wanted to leverage it for the potential higher speeds.  The orbi satellites I have are setup in the other parts of the house and could probably reach the game room, but I preferred to not use a wireless connection to the system.  Our house is pretty big, over 6000sqft, so I was hoping to spread the orbi units out to get the most out of the coverage areas and try to reach most of the back yard as well.  Does this make sense?  Am I doing something wrong?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7