Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use RBR20 Router to extend RBK50 network?

quentinp
Aspirant

Can I use RBR20 Router to extend RBK50 network?

I find the cost of add on satellites to be ridiculously high - can I do the above (available for $90 used on newegg)?

Many thanks

Quentin

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can I use RBR20 Router to extend RBK50 network?

Yes... and No

Yes: The RBR20 can be placed in Access Point mode and connected to the Orbi as a dumb Access Point, but

NO: The RBR20 will NOT be integrated into the Orbi WiFi system.  It will be as if you purchased any WiFi repeater.  Even if you assign the RBR20 the same SSID as the Orbi, it will not "act as a satellite."  No one knows why Netgear designed the product this way, but they did.

So, rather than spend $90 on a used RBR20, it would be better to look for any model of satellite.because any satellite will function with any Orbi as a satellite.

Message 2 of 3
quentinp
Aspirant

Re: Can I use RBR20 Router to extend RBK50 network?

Very helpful, thanks. Think I'll sell what I have and jump ship to Google mesh system (Costco have a good deal). I figured the price would come down over time and I could buy an extra Orbi node if I needed it, but Netgear seem to be gouging. No logic behind the pricing of their extenders (I don't care if 99% of the hardware and 95% of the software is the same, that's not how you price technology).

Thanks again!

Q

P.S. And look at the DOZENS of available products. Way to take something meant for the masses and make it unintelligible!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7