Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use RBR20 router as a satelitte if I upgrade to RBR53?

krob3
Aspirant

Can I use RBR20 router as a satelitte if I upgrade to RBR53?

I currently have the RBK23 and 2 satellites.  Its a 2.2Gbps mesh setup and it works great.  I am thinking of upgrading to the RBK53 3Gbps mesh system which has a router and 2 satellites.

If I do upgrade, can I use my existing RBR20 router and the 2 existing satellites as satellites in the RBK53 router?  Will the 2.2Gbps cause any issues with the newer model RBK53 system?

This would give me the RBK53 router and a total of 5 satellites if it works.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can I use RBR20 router as a satelitte if I upgrade to RBR53?

Yes, and NO.  The existing satellites can be connected to any Orbi router, including the RBR50 and will work just fine.  Netgear designed the routers to function ONLY as routers.  They can NEVER connect to another router and function as a satellite.

What you CAN do is put the existing router in Access Point (AP) mode (on the advanced tab, advanced setup menu at the bottom).  Wire the WAN (yellow) port to the new router and your old router will function as a plain old access point.  It is a complicated and messy thing to do and leads to confusion as devices will not "roam" between the Orbi "network" and this isolated access point.  The radio channels will conflict.  I think that is one reason there are so many Orbi routers for sale on eBay, but almost no satellites.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, and NO.  The existing satellites can be connected to any Orbi router, including the RBR50 and will work just fine.  Netgear designed the routers to function ONLY as routers.  They can NEVER connect to another router and function as a satellite.

What you CAN do is put the existing router in Access Point (AP) mode (on the advanced tab, advanced setup menu at the bottom).  Wire the WAN (yellow) port to the new router and your old router will function as a plain old access point.  It is a complicated and messy thing to do and leads to confusion as devices will not "roam" between the Orbi "network" and this isolated access point.  The radio channels will conflict.  I think that is one reason there are so many Orbi routers for sale on eBay, but almost no satellites.

Message 2 of 3
krob3
Aspirant

Thank you for the great info, I really appreciate it!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7