Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I use an Orbi router as a satellite?

Crg1
Star

Can I use an Orbi router as a satellite?

Can I use an Orbi router as a satellite?

Strictly based on cost - I see RBK50 (Router and Satellite) on Amazon for $292.99. But I see JUST the satellite for $224.98.

Doesn't make sense just to purchase a satellite only for that price - since I can use two additional satellites it makes better sense to buy another RBK50 and use the Router as a satellite.

Also...just to be clear - I think it's crazy to charge $224 for just the satellite!!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
blacksnoopy
Aspirant

you can sell it and buy velop instead, it's a best choice
Message 2 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

No the router can not be used as a satellite.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 7
Mass2479
Aspirant

I have an RBR40

My first question is, Is this and older version? because I can't find this version I only see RBR50.  Second question is can I connect a satellite with ethernet ports to my RBR40 and if so which one? and if I can add a satellite with ethernet ports will my device get faster service if I plug  directly into the satellite like plugging directly into the router?

Message 4 of 7
Ulairi
Luminary

@Mass2479 wrote:

I have an RBR40

My first question is, Is this and older version? because I can't find this version I only see RBR50.  Second question is can I connect a satellite with ethernet ports to my RBR40 and if so which one? and if I can add a satellite with ethernet ports will my device get faster service if I plug  directly into the satellite like plugging directly into the router?

You probably want the RBS40.  This has 4 Ethernet ports on the Satellite.  Indeed, the RBK40 is the kit that contains a RBR40 Router and a RBS40 satellite.

The RSB30 is the wall plug satellite and does not have any Ethernet nor USB ports.

The newly released RBS20 is a satellite with 2 Ethernet ports, but I don't thgink that you can buy the satellite by itself.

Message 5 of 7
Mass2479
Aspirant

If I plug into the satellite will I get closer to the 100mb download spped that i pay for?
Message 6 of 7
Streak2
Master

I have a base and 3 satellites. I get my paid for speed at all locations and that's via Wi-Fi. Wired would be less prone to interference.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7