Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use r6400v2 and orbi RBK22 together to extend WIFI

joedev
Follower

Can I use r6400v2 and orbi RBK22 together to extend WIFI

Who uses r6400v2 and orbi RBK22 together on same SSID network?  How did you configure it?  Thanks!

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router, RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can I use r6400v2 and orbi RBK22 together to extend WIFI

@joedev wrote:

Who uses r6400v2 and orbi RBK22 together on same SSID network?  How did you configure it?  Thanks!

You can set it up this way, but is will be two networks with the same SSID.  Which network an individual device will connect to is anybody's guess.  Devices will not "roam" from one to the other like they do with a typical Orbi network.  Since the Orbi router can only be connected using an ethernet cable from the WAN (yellow) port, most people seem to place the Orbi router close to the modem (or, in your case close to the R6400).  This means the WiFi signal from the two would cover the same area.  You could put them on different channels, but it will still be the same phyical space.  Because of this, most people either remove the R6400 or turn off the R6400 radios.

If you really want to keep the R6400, you will avoid headaches by placing the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode and letting the R6400 handle all the IP assignment and routing tasks.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can I use r6400v2 and orbi RBK22 together to extend WIFI

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@joedev wrote:

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7