Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can ORBI RBR50 be configured as an access point WIRELESSLY?

hofendis
Aspirant

Can ORBI RBR50 be configured as an access point WIRELESSLY?

I have an RBR50 Router with two satelites. The router is configured in AP mode, using my cable modem/router as the router. To extend the range of my ORBI mesh network, I'm wondering if I can move the RBR50 about 30' away from the modem/router to be closer to the satelites? Or does it have to be connected with an ethernet cable?

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can ORBI RBR50 be configured as an access point WIRELESSLY?

No, the RBR can't wirelessly connect to the ISP Modems wifi. The RBR requires a LAN cable connection to the ISP modem or ONT or LAN interfact with a ISP service or from a router if the RBR is configured for AP mode. 

@hofendis wrote:

Thanks, but not what I meant. If I move the RBR50 across the room, can it pick up its DHCP address from the router wirelessly and work  from there as an access point (and connection to the satelites)? Or MUST it be connected via ethernet cable to the router?

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can move the RBR farther away from the ISP modem. LAN cable lenths come in 50' or 100' lengths. I would start with CAT6 with a 50' lenth cable if this meets your desires between the ISP modem and RBR. 

Message 2 of 7
hofendis
Aspirant

Thanks, but not what I meant. If I move the RBR50 across the room, can it pick up its DHCP address from the router wirelessly and work  from there as an access point (and connection to the satelites)? Or MUST it be connected via ethernet cable to the router?

Message 3 of 7
Ragar99
Luminary

No, it does not work like that.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

No, the RBR can't wirelessly connect to the ISP Modems wifi. The RBR requires a LAN cable connection to the ISP modem or ONT or LAN interfact with a ISP service or from a router if the RBR is configured for AP mode. 

@hofendis wrote:

Message 5 of 7
hofendis
Aspirant

Bummer. But thank you for the explanation. -sd

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7