Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can Orbi RBR-20 work with non-satellite extender?

bernt
Follower

Can Orbi RBR-20 work with non-satellite extender?

I have an Orbi RBR20 router with a single RBS20 satellite for our home wifi.  All works well except I keep losing the connection to our wireless sprinkler controller which is located in the far corner of the garage.  I want to ensure this device is always connected to wifi but don't want to pay over $100 for an additional Orbi satellite since this is the controller is the only device which would access a second satellite.  Instead, can I add an inexpensive D-Link extender and have it connect wirelessly to the RBR20, and configure my sprinkler controller to connect to the extender?  The controller can use the 2.4GHz signal and I don't care if the extender would have it's own SSID, network password, etc.  Just need to know if the RBR20 will work with a non-satellite extender in this fashion.  Thanks.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can Orbi RBR-20 work with non-satellite extender?

Yes, it should work fine. Users have reported using NGs EX series extenders with Orbi. Let us know if it works for you. 

Message 2 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Can Orbi RBR-20 work with non-satellite extender?

@bernt wrote:

I have an Orbi RBR20 router with a single RBS20 satellite for our home wifi.  All works well except I keep losing the connection to our wireless sprinkler controller which is located in the far corner of the garage.  I want to ensure this device is always connected to wifi but don't want to pay over $100 for an additional Orbi satellite since this is the controller is the only device which would access a second satellite.  Instead, can I add an inexpensive D-Link extender and have it connect wirelessly to the RBR20, and configure my sprinkler controller to connect to the extender?  The controller can use the 2.4GHz signal and I don't care if the extender would have it's own SSID, network password, etc.  Just need to know if the RBR20 will work with a non-satellite extender in this fashion.  Thanks.

keep one thing in work, in as much as the extender may connect to the Orbi router or Sat, it should not be consider a 'booster'.  if the signal is already weak there it will simple degrade and pass it along.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7