Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can Orbi be put into bridged mode?

diamorim
Aspirant

Can Orbi be put into bridged mode?

Is it Possible set up the Orbi as a Bridge? I need to set up a RBK-50 not as AP/Router, but as a Bridge. In this case i would like to use another router in front of ORBI as following: Carrier Modem -> Router -> Orbi (as a Bridge).

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
diamorim
Aspirant

Thank you very much for clarify it for me. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
randomousity
Luminary

Yes. AP = bridge. The Orbi can function as a router, OR as an access point (AP), which is just a wireless bridge.

Message 2 of 5
diamorim
Aspirant

Ok,  but i think that in AP mode its router functions are not disable, or am i wrong? I need a bridge between Lan ports network side and wireless network side. By definition AP mode and Bridge mode seems different, as folowing: 

AP mode � this is the default, most common mode for all wireless routers, also called Infrastructure mode. Your router acts as an central connection point, which wireless clients can connect to.

Bridged mode � The radio interface is used to connect the LAN side of the router to a remote accesspoint. The LAN and the remote AP will be in the same subnet (This is called a "bridge" between two network segments). The WAN side of the router is unused and can be disabled. 

Maybe am wrong! 

Thank you for your reply.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

In AP mode, the router functions are definitely disabled.  It no longer assigns IP addresses, forwards ports, processes DNS queries, filters, etc. etc.  I agree the terminology is confusing.

Message 4 of 5
diamorim
Aspirant

Thank you very much for clarify it for me. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7