Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can RBR20/RBR40/RBR50 Routers Act as Satellites?

Ro-
Follower
Follower

Can RBR20/RBR40/RBR50 Routers Act as Satellites?

Can any of the various routers (RBR20/RBR40/RBR50) act as a satellite and extend the current wifi network if they are not plugged directly into a cable modem? I already have an existing Orbi router (RBR40) with satellites and was just wondering if I had an extra router would it connect to my current setup and act as a satellite if I didnt plug it directly into my modem. Hope this makes sense. Thanks!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 5
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: Can RBR20/RBR40/RBR50 Routers Act as Satellites?

The short answer is no.

Message 2 of 5
_mozreactor_
Aspirant

Longer answer?  Some hack or workaround available?  I'd find this functionality very useful, also.

Message 3 of 5
Chuck_M
Mentor

The longer answer would be "Negative"

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ro- wrote:

Can any of the various routers (RBR20/RBR40/RBR50) act as a satellite and extend the current wifi network if they are not plugged directly into a cable modem?

This is one of the most frequently asked questions. From all appearances, the hardware for router and satellite seem to be identical (except for the yellow color on the router WAN port).  Individual satellites are somewhat difficult to purchase (and expensive), while places like Costco sell router/satellite packages for about the cost of a single satellite.

However, the firmware for router and satellite are different and no one has ever come up with a way to make a router function as a satellite.  So, the "long and short" of it is: Not only no, but "hell no."

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7