Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can a mesh network have 3 SSIDs (2 family and 1 guest) - Models RBK50 and/or RBK753

mdezrin
Aspirant

Can a mesh network have 3 SSIDs (2 family and 1 guest) - Models RBK50 and/or RBK753

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new mesh network to cover a 3 floor suburban home.

I'm looking at either Models RBK50 and/or RBK753 in a 2 node or 3 node configuration. 

It is an in ground basement and the Xfinity coax cable comes in on the 3rd floor. The plan is to put one node on each floor. That might be overkill but trying to make sure the basement has coverage, along with the back deck.

There are 4 residents, 2 adults who work from home, and their kids. Due to work reasons, they'd like to have 3 WiFi networks:

1. Guest
  2. Family
  3. Home office/company info. They'd like, for security reasons, to keep the work info separate from everyone else's access.

Is this possible with either of these systems?

I've been told there is an ethernet run in the house to the basement. If so, can the basement satellite be ethernet connected?

One last question. They have a Canon Color ImageClass MF726Cdw printer. If everyone needs access to this printer, and there can be 2 "internal" networks, what is the best way to put the printer on the network with either WiFi or ethernet?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: Can a mesh network have 3 SSIDs (2 family and 1 guest) - Models RBK50 and/or RBK753

You could split the incoming network (off your ISP) into subnet VLANs using more expensive routers (that let you do that) and then use Orbi's or sother WiFi in accesspoint mode on those VLANs.

How to deploy Mesh network with Multi-Subnets 

Message 2 of 8
alokeprasad
Mentor

This one is overkill for most homes, but will do what you want (and more):

Upgrade Your Home Network to the Next Level 

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@mdezrin wrote:

There are 4 residents, 2 adults who work from home, and their kids. Due to work reasons, they'd like to have 3 WiFi networks:

1. Guest
  2. Family
  3. Home office/company info. They'd like, for security reasons, to keep the work info separate from everyone else's access.

Is this possible with either of these systems?

One last question. They have a Canon Color ImageClass MF726Cdw printer. If everyone needs access to this printer, and there can be 2 "internal" networks, what is the best way to put the printer on the network with either WiFi or ethernet?

As far as the implied question (RBK53 or RBK753). Neither of these routers offer three WiFi SSID's.

Shared printer: if all WiFi SSID's on a system lead to one IP subnet, then all users can access the printer.

It would be useful to know the purpose of multiple WiFi SSID's.  If it is to prevent users from "seeing each other", then the printer issue becomes much more difficult.

Message 4 of 8
mdezrin
Aspirant

Which one is overkill for most homes?  The reality, to me, is most of these are overkill for most homes.

The variables all make them somewhat overkill. Dual band vs. Tri-band. WiFi 5 vs. WiFi 6? They talk about square footage as the main thing but I've seen homes with in-ground basements having issues. Plus, in my area, suburbs outside DC, Xfinity and Verizon love to put their primary cable into the least desirable spot in a house because it was the easiest. I have a 3 node Velop because I needed one node to relay a solid signal from the Verizon modem sitting in the furnace room in my basementto my son's bedroom that is over the garage on the 3rd floor didn't work with 2 nodes. 

Adding in the expanding array of smart devices everyone has - laptops, phones, tablets, Ring and other security, smart TVs, plugs, switches, thermostats, etc.

It seems everyone working from home, streaming, zooming, etc. also changed things regarding bandwidth. 

Most should be able to get by with a 2 node WiFi 5, dual band but ...

Message 5 of 8
mdezrin
Aspirant

the goal for the 3 SSIDs is to prevent 3 people from accessing the work stuff of the 4th. Ideall, we'd put the printer on the all-access SSID and the 4th would switch to it to print. But wasn't sure if I could route it via ethernet to the 4th and also via WiFi to the other 3. It sits in the room with the modem and main router and that is where the 4th with the security concern sits. 

I did see that Netgear has a proline and it offers 3 SSIDs.

Orbi Pro WiFi 5 (SRK60B03)

Thanks.

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@mdezrin wrote:

the goal for the 3 SSIDs is to prevent 3 people from accessing the work stuff of the 4th. Ideall, we'd put the printer on the all-access SSID and the 4th would switch to it to print. But wasn't sure if I could route it via ethernet to the 4th and also via WiFi to the other 3. It sits in the room with the modem and main router and that is where the 4th with the security concern sits. 

I did see that Netgear has a proline and it offers 3 SSIDs.

Yes, Netgear has a "Pro" version of the original Orbi (RBK50, but with different firmware) that supports four WiFi SSID's (see page 87 of the User Manual) https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/SRK60/SRK60_UM_EN.pdf  I may be reading it wrong, but my take is that the "Employee", "IoT", and "Guest" SSID's cannot access devices on the LAN or on the other SSID's.  probably not what you want.  Before going in that direction, I would want to read the manual very carefully and then post the specific design on the Orbi "Pro" community forum for comment: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-pro-wifi 

There is a chance that the problem is less complicated than it appears.

Person #4 has the most security concern and is phyisically located with the router and printer.

Connect #4's computer to the router with an ethernet cable and the printer with an ethernet cable.

(If the computer does not have an ethernet jack, there are USB to ethernet converters for under $20.)

#4's computer surely has a firewall that prevents anyone from accessing it.

Not being on WiFi, #4's packets cannot be intercepted.

Everyone can print and then arm-wrestly #4 to get their hands on the paper.

As to the question of "How much of what kind of WiFi?", your are correct for today.  AC WiFi is "good enough".  All of those "IoT" gizmos use the cheapest WiFi chips, which are all 2.4G.  There are only a handful of devices supporting WiFi6 and none supporting WiFi 6E.  Eventually, someone will own a new computer that would benefit from new router technology, but not this minute.

Message 7 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

@mdezrin wrote:

1. Guest
  2. Family

Maybe you could just do:

1. Run the Xfinity gateway/modem with wireless turned on = Network A
  2. Run the Orbi's primary wireless = Network B
  3. Run the Orbi's guest wireless, with "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" disabled = Network C

Network A is accessible all so connect your Canon printer there.  Also use it for Guests.

Network B and C will be protected from Network A by Orbi's firewall.  Use them for Work and Family (respectively).  This is Double NAT which is "not recommended" but works fine for most things.  If the Kids have some game that doesn't work with Double NAT then they can temporarily connect to Network A.

Will this work?  One annoyance I see is that with Network C disabled to see each other then the Family PCs cannot see each other, but "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" must be disabled to hide Work from Family.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7