Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can a powerline adapter be used to connect an Orbi to my isp modem instead of a cat 6 rj45 cable

Cheem
Aspirant

Can a powerline adapter be used to connect an Orbi to my isp modem instead of a cat 6 rj45 cable

I want to locate my Orbi router in a room in the centre of my house so I can hardwire it with rj45 cables to my computer, Sonos and  Hive heating hub located in that room (plus it’s the best place for the Orbi router to provide WiFi in the house)  . This will allow the Orbi satellite to be placed in range in an outbuilding allowing WiFi coverage there and in the garden. My problem is my isp router is connected to the master socket located at the far end of my house furthest from the outbuilding so if I connect the orbi router directly with the supplied cat 5 rj45 cable it is too far away from the satellite for a stable connection between the two and it is impractical to run a very long rj45 cable from the modem to the intended position of the Orbi router. As a cheaper alternative to a second Orbi satellite I’m considering purchase a Netgear PLP-1000 1 port 1 Gigabit powerline adapter as an  alternative to the normal hardwire connection between isp modem and Orbi router. Is this a feasible way of connecting them and if so will this adversely affect the connection speed/stability between the router and modem. Thank you.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Cheem
Aspirant

Re: Can a powerline adapter be used to connect an Orbi to my isp modem instead of a cat 6 rj45 cable

Thanks to both of you for your help and recommendations.  I now feel a lot better about my next course of action.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies

@Cheem wrote:

As a cheaper alternative to a second Orbi satellite I’m considering purchase a Netgear PLP-1000 1 port 1 Gigabit powerline adapter as an  alternative to the normal hardwire connection between isp modem and Orbi router. Is this a feasible way of connecting them and ...

Yes. I do this without problems.

You don't say what your modem is. If it is a modem/router then you may want to put the Orbi into wireless access point mode.

Message 2 of 11
Cheem
Aspirant

Thanks for the information - much appreciated! I am using my isp’s modem/ router - a ‘plusnet hub one’ (sagem)
Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter, RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 11

@Cheem wrote:
I am using my isp’s modem/ router - a ‘plusnet hub one’ (sagem)

Without a model number, that could be anything.

Message 4 of 11
Cheem
Aspirant

The model number is Sagem CS50001. If possible can you explain the difference/best option between using the Orbi in router versus access point mode with my described set up. I notice in AP mode  that the ip adresses for all equipment is set by the modem (192.x.x.x) and router mode set by the Orbii (10.x.x.x) Thank you.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 6 of 11
Cheem
Aspirant

Thanks for the info/advice. Given that my plusnet hub modem/router firmware doesn’t support bridge mode I will set the Orbi to AP mode.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try the modems DMZ if you want the Orbi in router mode.

Message 8 of 11

Now you know why I asked about the modem. It matters.

Unless you need fancy features, AP mode works fine with Orbi routers. It is common practice to use them in that mode, partly because the router bit is less capable than more "powerful" routers.

For example, parental controls and Armor won't work in AP mode.

If you want a more controllable system, then it might be easier to buy a basic modem only device than to faff around with complicated settings. For example, in the UK you can get the DM200 DSL modem for around £30. There are also inexpensive cable modems.

Message 9 of 11
Cheem
Aspirant

Thanks to both of you for your help and recommendations.  I now feel a lot better about my next course of action.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope it all works out. Good Luck. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7