Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can a second Orbi Router RBR50 act as a satellite in an existing network of another RBR50?

tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

Can a second Orbi Router RBR50 act as a satellite in an existing network of another RBR50?

So, I had bought two boxes of RBK50 (each containing 1x RBR50v2 + 2x RBS50v2), which means I now have 2x RBR50v2 and and 4x RBS50v2. I already am using one RBR50v2 router with three of the RBS50v2 satellites via wired backhaul, and will soon add the fourth RBS50v2 as a wireless satellite.

However, I was also hoping to set the second RBR50v2 router to AP mode, and then use it as a satellite via a wired backhaul to cover my lawn when I needed it to without spending lots of money ($350) on a dedicated & permanent outdoor satellite (RBS50Y).

But, even when I set it to AP mode before any setup happens (via connecting it to my PC directly so that the PC and the second RBR50v2 see ONLY eachother, then go to orbilogin.com which the router responds to, then skip the Setup stuff it attempts to do, then switch it to AP mode, hoping that turns the router to a simple satellite), the actual setup later as a satellite keeps failing at the sync stage between the existing RBR50v2 and the one in the AP mode.

There are a few posts about this not being possible, but the most recent I was able to find was a >6 month post. In the meantime, at least two firmware updates happened. So, in the hopes that maybe someone managed to do this recently, I decided to ask.

Thanks

Tuna

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

Re: Can a second Orbi Router RBR50 act as a satellite in an existing network of another RBR50?

So, that sort of worked... But I am uneasy...

I first reset the 2nd RBR50v2 to clear up my previous attempt's effects, then connected it to my PC directly through the LAN ports on both, visited orbilogin.com, went through misc screens giving the least possible answers and skipping things, but named/passworded the WIFI network to be different than my existing Orbi network, went to the Router/AP page, gave it a proper device name instead of the default "RBR50", and then switched it to AP mode. At this point, once the 2nd router finished rebooting, the connection between the PC and the new router stops working.

Once the second router booted, the light turned magenta. I connected a cable directly from the existing router's LAN output into the WAN input of the new router. Nothing else is connected to the new router in AP mode. So, it now has internet connectivity, and the AttachedDevices screen of the first router's admin page shows the new router just like any other device. And, the second router is broadcasting the new differently-named WIFI network as I verified by my phone, connecting to it and visiting the internet. I also updated the firmware to the latest just to eliminate any ghost problems. Things continue to work.

At this point, I have my FOOBAR and FOOBAR-Outdoor networks available to me. Of course, I would like to have both named the same. But before I change the SSID of the second router to be the same as the main router, I went to the AttachedDevices of the new router's management page. Remember that there is nothing connected to it except that its WAN port is fed by the LAN port of the original router. What do I see? A random collection of 12 devices in my house (out of the 28 reported on the admin page of the main router) are seen as WIRED connected to the new router, regardless if they are wired or wirelessly connected to the original router. with the same IP addresses as handed out by the DHCP of the original router.

So, this seems like an artifact display of attached devices? Somehow some traffic that comes to the main router is also seen by the 2nd router and it mistakenly thinks those devices are connected to itself via wire, because it itself is connected to the main router via wire?

Somehow this disturbs me. I might actually shell out the money to order a proper outdoor mesh satellite, but still use it with wired backhaul. And, reset and put this 2nd router into a drawer as backup in case my main router fails.

Someone tell me that everything is OK, that I can change the SSID of FOOBAR-Outdoor to FOOBAR, and save me money! 🙂 

Tuna

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

No can do.  Sorry.  This router in AP mode can be attached to the existing Orbi with a wired connection and it will function as an ordinary Access Point.  It cannot be connected using the WiFi backhaul because it cannot be a satellite.

Message 2 of 8
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

Hmmmm.... I did try to set it up with wired backhaul at first, after first setting it to AP moden, and that resulted in a bunch of mess on the network, too, like devices connecting to the 2nd Router-turned-AP. I will try again more carefully.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Must cable the Yellow (WAN) port to the existing Orbi.  Does't matter if it is connected to the router or one of the satellites.  If you give it the same WiFi name and password as the existing Orbi, then of course devices may be confused.  They turn on, look for a strong signal with a WiFi name they recognize, and connect.  HOWEVER, this new Orbi is NOT a "satellite".  It will sit there broadcasting its own backhaul 5G radio wondering, "when is some satellite going to connect to ME?"  (Never, of course.)  It is just like you went on Amazon and bought any brand of WiFi access point.  It will not be "integrated" with the main Orbi setup of one router and 3-4 satellites.  This router backhaul radio will probably compete with the existing Orbi backhaul network as well.

Message 4 of 8
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

Oh. I had wired the existing Orbi network into one of the LAN ports of the 2nd Router/AP, thinking that the AP mode would basically make it ignore the WAN input. Bad assumption, I guess. I'll try with this setup and report back.

Message 5 of 8
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

So, that sort of worked... But I am uneasy...

I first reset the 2nd RBR50v2 to clear up my previous attempt's effects, then connected it to my PC directly through the LAN ports on both, visited orbilogin.com, went through misc screens giving the least possible answers and skipping things, but named/passworded the WIFI network to be different than my existing Orbi network, went to the Router/AP page, gave it a proper device name instead of the default "RBR50", and then switched it to AP mode. At this point, once the 2nd router finished rebooting, the connection between the PC and the new router stops working.

Once the second router booted, the light turned magenta. I connected a cable directly from the existing router's LAN output into the WAN input of the new router. Nothing else is connected to the new router in AP mode. So, it now has internet connectivity, and the AttachedDevices screen of the first router's admin page shows the new router just like any other device. And, the second router is broadcasting the new differently-named WIFI network as I verified by my phone, connecting to it and visiting the internet. I also updated the firmware to the latest just to eliminate any ghost problems. Things continue to work.

At this point, I have my FOOBAR and FOOBAR-Outdoor networks available to me. Of course, I would like to have both named the same. But before I change the SSID of the second router to be the same as the main router, I went to the AttachedDevices of the new router's management page. Remember that there is nothing connected to it except that its WAN port is fed by the LAN port of the original router. What do I see? A random collection of 12 devices in my house (out of the 28 reported on the admin page of the main router) are seen as WIRED connected to the new router, regardless if they are wired or wirelessly connected to the original router. with the same IP addresses as handed out by the DHCP of the original router.

So, this seems like an artifact display of attached devices? Somehow some traffic that comes to the main router is also seen by the 2nd router and it mistakenly thinks those devices are connected to itself via wire, because it itself is connected to the main router via wire?

Somehow this disturbs me. I might actually shell out the money to order a proper outdoor mesh satellite, but still use it with wired backhaul. And, reset and put this 2nd router into a drawer as backup in case my main router fails.

Someone tell me that everything is OK, that I can change the SSID of FOOBAR-Outdoor to FOOBAR, and save me money! 🙂 

Tuna

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@tuna_ertemalp wrote:

You are correct.  This Orbi sees packets from a lot of devices coming "through the wire."  They are thus "wired."  Not only that, but when something does attach to the AP via WiFi, the main Orbi will see packets coming "through the wire", and thus label them as "wired" also.  Only an Orbi satellite can tell the router that something is "WiFi."

@tuna_ertemalp wrote:

You get a more consistent Orbi network with a true Orbi satellite, and only the RBS50Y is actually rated to be placed outdoors.

Message 7 of 8
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

Thank you! Even though this should work, I will avoid any future headache and get myself an RBS50Y. 

But this thread should still be useful to people who want to turn their RBR50 routers into AP, and be aware of the things they might run into. Thank you for your help in ironing out the details.

Tuna

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7