Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can an Orbi Extender using Wifi run an Ethernet cable to a computer for a wired connection?

JAZR
Aspirant

Can an Orbi Extender using Wifi run an Ethernet cable to a computer for a wired connection?

I have an RBR50 connected to an Xfinity modem - Wireless Gateway: TG3482G (router features turned off) via ethernet cable. Then 2 more RBR50 used as extenders in my home. All devices run off of wifi. All are apple products. This system has been working great.  However due to COVID-19, I now need two work computer set ups at home. My work set ups run off of a thin client that must connect via ethernet cable.  I can hook one of them up to the Orbi router with an ethernet cable and set it up but I need to be able to hook up another one as well.  I am trying to figure out if I can run an ethernet cable out of one of the RBR50 extenders and connect it to the thin client.  Then the thin client would be connected to an ethernet cable but the internet would be accessed via wifi. The only other option that I have figured out is to run a 50-100 foot Ethernet cable through the house to get to the other computer, which is not ideal. 

The thin clients connect remotely to an internal network at work and use PC dual monitors and PC equipment.  They do not have a CPU. If anyone knows if this will work (I know doubtful) or can think of a better set up (that will not break the bank), I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can an Orbi Extender using Wifi run an Ethernet cable to a computer for a wired connection?

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can an Orbi Extender using Wifi run an Ethernet cable to a computer for a wired connection?

Yes.

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@JAZR wrote:

I have an RBR50 connected... Then 2 more RBR50 used as extenders in my home.

Then the thin client would be connected to an ethernet cable but the internet would be accessed via wifi.

The thin clients connect remotely to an internal network at work and use PC dual monitors and PC equipment.  They do not have a CPU. If anyone knows if this will work (I know doubtful) or can think of a better set up (that will not break the bank), I would be very grateful. Thank you.

I am confused by some of the details.  Normally, an Orbi package consists of one RBR50 router and two RBS50 satellites.  As @FURRYe38 commented, each RBS50 satellite has four ethernet jacks and any ethernet device can be connected to those jacks.

"Internet would be accessed via wifi" is ambiguous.  The "thin client" will be connected via ethernet cable.  The satellite connects to the router via WiFi (the "backhaul" link).  The thin client itself, however, will not be accessing anything using WiFi.

"PC equipment" and "They do not have a CPU" defies logic.  All PC's have CPU's.  Even my fitness tracker has a CPU.

Message 3 of 5
JAZR
Aspirant

Clearly this is not my area but you both answered my questions.  I can hook an ethernet up to a wifi enabled device. That was the big question.  Then the thin client will run off of the Orbi satelite via cable and the Orbi satelite will run off of the wifi.  I am going to try and set it up this weekend.  

The no CPU just meant that the computer will not operate unless it is connect through the thin client.  The Wyse thin client has 2 monitors and a keyboard. The thin client networks with the network and then you can connect to your network through it.  However, the set up is not like a traditional PC with an operating system that you install an app like VM Ware and then connect to the network through the app.  Maybe this makes more sense. If not, I am sorry - as I said this is not my area.  

Thank you both for your help.  

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Just connect a ethernet cable to the PC behind the RBS and the rest will happen. The PC will get an IP address and internet services from the RBR thru the RBS. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7