Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can an Orbi RBS 50 router be used with an ARIS CM820A modem?

EdHpdx
Tutor

Can an Orbi RBS 50 router be used with an ARIS CM820A modem?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Can an Orbi RBS 50 router be used with an ARIS CM820A modem?

yes an RBR40 would connect. It'd use the slower 866mpbs backhaul but it'd still function and work fine. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

RBS50 is the satellite, not the router. 

If you're meaning the RBR50, then yes it can. The CM820a is a modem only device so the orbi should connect to it. 

(not that the cm820a is that great of a modem)

Message 2 of 9
EdHpdx
Tutor

Thanks, let me back up. I just moved and went from a Comcast provider to a local internet service that is requiring me to use their Arris modem. I want to know if I can use any part of my existing Orbi system which includes a CBR40 modem/router and 2 RBS50 satellites.  I cant figure out how to connect (if its even possible) the Arris modem to the Orbi router/satelites. Hope that makes more sense. Thanks 

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

The CBR40 is an Orbi that includes a built-in DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem.

The Arris CM820A is also a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem.

Ordinarily, one would think that the CBR40 could connect to the coax cable in place of the Arris.  Cable systems have different practices and yours may not be able to manage other brands of cable modem.

So, the short answer is, "if they will not allow customers to use any other cable modem, then you are screwed."

I should point out that there was a post just recently concerning this issue, only the topic was switching to fiber (which of course has no coax connection).  The poster swore that connecting one of the Orbi LAN ports to the ONT (similar to the Arris in function) and "it worked".  The ring light remained magenta because of the lack of signal on the cable port.  He may also have had the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode.

Message 4 of 9
EdHpdx
Tutor

That is what I thought.  Yes, they will not allow any other modem.  I tried connecting and just got the magenta ring. Uggh, looks like I need to buy a new Orbi mesh router system that does not include the modem. 

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

@EdHpdx wrote:

That is what I thought.  Yes, they will not allow any other modem.  I tried connecting and just got the magenta ring. Uggh, looks like I need to buy a new Orbi mesh router system that does not include the modem. 

You might be able to find the RBR40 or RBR50 for pretty cheap. a lot of people buy the kit for the satellites and sell the router. 

Or even finding one renewed on amazon. 

Message 6 of 9
EdHpdx
Tutor

Would the RBR40 or 50 connect with the RBS50’s I have?
Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

yes an RBR40 would connect. It'd use the slower 866mpbs backhaul but it'd still function and work fine. 

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

The CBR40 uses the same 866mbps backhaul as the RBR40 so you shouldn't see any performance differences. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7