Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can an Orbi Satellite use another Satellite to extend the wifi?

h28daniel2
Follower

Can an Orbi Satellite use another Satellite to extend the wifi?

Hi, 

I need to install a new satellite but it be in the range of the router, would this configuration work?  Please see the screenshot attached, 

Satellite 3 will be in the range of satellite 2, satellite 2 in range of satellite 1 and Satellite 1 in range of the router. Would this work?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)

Firmware Version: V2.2.1.210

thank you. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, this will work.  "Daisy Chain" on the Orbi "Advanced->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings" must be enabled.  (There appears to be some controversy over whether this release of firmware operates correctly, or if the check box actually operates "backwards", i.e. "off" really means "on".  I have only one satellite, so I have no personal experience.)  There are numerous community members who report satisfactory deployment of Daisy Chain with their satellites.

Of course, using a Daisy Chain means that packets from devices at the far end of the chain will traverse three backhaul connections to the router.  If the device is a smart plug that needs to send or receive fewer than 100 bytes of data a couple of times per day, this is obviously no restriction.  Streaming 4K video at the far end may be a problem.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, this will work.  "Daisy Chain" on the Orbi "Advanced->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings" must be enabled.  (There appears to be some controversy over whether this release of firmware operates correctly, or if the check box actually operates "backwards", i.e. "off" really means "on".  I have only one satellite, so I have no personal experience.)  There are numerous community members who report satisfactory deployment of Daisy Chain with their satellites.

Of course, using a Daisy Chain means that packets from devices at the far end of the chain will traverse three backhaul connections to the router.  If the device is a smart plug that needs to send or receive fewer than 100 bytes of data a couple of times per day, this is obviously no restriction.  Streaming 4K video at the far end may be a problem.

Message 2 of 3
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

That appears to be a "daisy chain" setup. Just make sure that on the user interface you have checked Daisy Chain. Advanced>Advanced Setup>Wireless Settings. Check box for Daisy Chain under "Backhaul Topology".

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7