Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can an Orbi be connected to a Comcast gateway device?

benmitchell1024
Aspirant

Can an Orbi be connected to a Comcast gateway device?

I have  a Comcast gateway device that is both a router/modem.  Can I hook up an Orbi to the gateway?

Message 1 of 18
SystemCrash
Guide

Yes, I'm pretty sure the Orbi can be connected to almost anything.
Message 2 of 18
benmitchell1024
Aspirant

How would I hook it up?  Connect the Orbi to the Comcast gateway and just create a whole new wifi network?

Message 3 of 18
st_shaw
Master

@benmitchell1024 wrote:

How would I hook it up?  Connect the Orbi to the Comcast gateway and just create a whole new wifi network?

Connect the Orbi RBR unit to the Comcast gateway. Log into Orbi via the web GUI and set Orbi to operate in Access Point mode. After Orbi reboots, log into the Comcast gateway, note the new IP address assigned to Orbi, Disable WiFi radios on the Comcast.  

Message 4 of 18
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

I have the same setup as you. Turn off the wifi in the comcast Modem/router and use only the Orbi Wifi.  And preferably, set the modem in bridge mode to avoid double NAT at the routers.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot/

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode/

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 5 of 18
makimm
Aspirant

Just added my Orbi network but created a different network name than my existing xfinity network.  Do I need to manually reattach all my devices to the new Orbi network?  Or can I name the Orbi network with the same xfinity name?

I think I eventually need to put the xfinity router in bridge mode to get the better performance, right?

Message 6 of 18
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

Yes, bridge mode and turn off xfinity wifi. That's the setup I have.
Message 7 of 18
makimm
Aspirant

Did you use the same network name?  Or did you have to reattach all your devices to the orbi network?

Message 8 of 18
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

I used a different name and password. I wanted to move slowly and observe the performance difference.

I also split 2.4ghz and 5ghz onto different ssids
Message 9 of 18
jpopp25
Aspirant

do you have any suggetions on turning off the xfinity wifi?   I followed a link in the chain above,  and this turns off the wifi hot spot (which grants any xfinity user the ability to use the signal).   

Message 10 of 18
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

If you own the router, login and turn it off. If not, call comcast and have them do it.

Message 11 of 18
Institor
Aspirant

So I understand, I should connect my Orbi to the Xfinity Wifi Router. Then turn off the wifi on the Comcast Router and put the Orbi in AP mode. I can assign any ssid and password i like to the orbi. I am not too familiar with the "bridge mode" ... this is a setting on Xfinity router that i should make?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 12 of 18
tsig
Luminary

Nope.  That is it.

Message 13 of 18
Tgterm
Guide

Same setup here.  Gateway set to Bridge Mode, xfiniti hotspot disabled.  Saw the note about setting the Orbi in AP Mode, so I checked mine and discovered that I have my Orbi set to Router mode.  Is this wrong, then?

If I reset the Orbi to AP mode, do I need to do other things?  Sorry, I am not too familiar with this setting.

Thanks!

Message 14 of 18
guzzijason
Apprentice

If you Xfinity gateway is in bridge mode, then your Orbi must be in router mode, as you must have at least 1 router on your network.

HOWEVER, with that said, if you but the Xfinity gateway in bridge mode, you lose a number of the newer advanced features that Xfinity is incorporating into their gateways, such as the relatively new XFi parental controls and network management features.

Message 15 of 18
Tgterm
Guide

Okay, that makes sense.  I must have misread a previous post that made me think I had it wrong.  Not so concerned about parental controls...but what are the xfinity network management features?

thanks!

Message 16 of 18
guzzijason
Apprentice

@Tgtermwrote:

Okay, that makes sense.  I must have misread a previous post that made me think I had it wrong.  Not so concerned about parental controls...but what are the xfinity network management features?

thanks!

It ws the XFi parental controls featured that I was really thinking of, but they keep adding other home automation and other feature that help integrate all the Xfinity products in the home together.

https://www.cnet.com/news/comcast-xfinity-adds-home-automation-to-x1-xfi-ces-2018/

Message 17 of 18
emilierose
Aspirant

see above

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7