Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can an RBR40 router be used as a satellite?

gwgue
Initiate

Can an RBR40 router be used as a satellite?

I'm going to try to set up an Orbi wireless network for my parents in their 2-story, 4,000 sq ft brick home.  I already have a RBK43 system (1 RBR40 router and 2 RBS20 satellites) for them and now someone has given me a RBK33 system (1 RBR40 router and 2 RBW30 plugin satellites).

The first question is whether there will be a problem with combining these systems.  I'm currently not expecting a problem since both systems start with a RBR40 router).  I'm hoping the 2 BRW30 satellites will work with the 2 RBS20 satellites to help me cover any dead spots in the house.

The second question is whether the 2nd RBR40 router can be used in Access Point mode or in some other way as a satellite.  If I could use that 2nd router then I think I could get the signal out to a workshed that they have in their back yard.

I searched through the forum here but the only similar question that I could find was from 2018 and the only answer was "Try it and let us know if it works."  I figured that I might as well ask before I tried it for myself to see if it works.  They live over 300 miles away from me so it's not going to be easy to play around with this much.

Thanks,

GWGuen

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

No.

Message 2 of 5
gwgue
Initiate

Thank you for the quick response.  Is there any other way that the extra RBR40 could be used in this configuration?  If not, we'll just keep it as a backup in case the first RBR40 has problems.

Thanks!

GWGuen

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

It can be used as a wired AP in AP mode however it won't be connected to the main Orbi system wirelessly or in a MESH configuration. It would be it's owe separate SSID name and PW. 

Message 4 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

You could run the second system's RBR40 off the first sytem in bridge mode and setup the satellites to it. But you would have to wire the second RBR40's WAN to the first RBR40's Lan port. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7