Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can an add on satellite be added to an Orbi in AP Mode

Crew60
Aspirant

Can an add on satellite be added to an Orbi in AP Mode

Hello

I have an Orbi Mesh RBR50 with 2 Satellites set up. In addition I have a RBR50 I have set up  in AP with a unique name and gets an IP from the Orbi RBR50 Main Router. It acts on its own name for the AP one.

I was wondering if you can add a Satellite to the Orbi RBR50 in AP mode and separate from the main Orbi Mesh. The satellite will be in the name of Router I have put in AP mode? Hope this does not sound confusing.

Thanks

Dave

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can an add on satellite be added to an Orbi in AP Mode

Yes, when you press the sync button on the RBR thats in AP mode, then press the sync button on the RBS you wish to add to the RBR in AP mode, the RBS will connect to that RBR. 

@Crew60 wrote:

Hello

I have an Orbi Mesh RBR50 with 2 Satellites set up. In addition I have a RBR50 I have set up  in AP with a unique name and gets an IP from the Orbi RBR50 Main Router. It acts on its own name for the AP one.

I was wondering if you can add a Satellite to the Orbi RBR50 in AP mode and separate from the main Orbi Mesh. The satellite will be in the name of Router I have put in AP mode? Hope this does not sound confusing.

Thanks

Dave

Message 2 of 5
Crew60
Aspirant

Can I just add the Sat via the Orbi app to add the Satellite to the AP also instead of the sync?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Crew60 wrote:
Can I just add the Sat via the Orbi app to add the Satellite to the AP also instead of the sync?

There is an entire forum devoted to the Orbi "app": https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

My concern with the app would be ensuring which Orbi the satellite was being added to (the primary Orbi or the AP Orbi).  If the app makes clear to you which one it is adding the satellite to, sounds good to me.  I also think that pressing two tiny buttons is pretty simple.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend adding the RBS to the 2nd RBR using the sync buttons to ensure the RBS is added to the correct RBR.

@Crew60 wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7