Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can i connect another router to orbi in AP mode

USMC5811
Follower

Can i connect another router to orbi in AP mode

I recently purchased a Blink XT2 security system for my home. I have been having a lot of issues with one of my cameras and it keeps losing internet connection, which causes it to permanently stop working (the camera in question is the one that is furthest from the main orbi unit). I am now on the fourth camera since luckily Blink is nice enough to replace them. They suggested I set all of my Blink devices to operate on the 2.4ghz network only. After a bunch of research, it looks like it is a pain to try and accomplish this. Not to mention my house loses power often, which in turn makes all of my devices reboot and then they typically connect to the main unit when they should connect to the satellite.

My Orbi is connected to a wireless gateway modem, and the wi-fi on the gateway is disabled and the Orbi is running in AP mode. Would I be able to add another wireless router so I can assign a different SSID to only the 2.4ghz channel and run the Blink devices off of that? I'm assuming, if possible, the best way would be to plug the router directly into the gateway and not the Orbi, but I have no clue. The Orbi also causes my Sony HTST5000 soundbar's subwoofer to pop intermittently, but that's an entirely different issue. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can i connect another router to orbi in AP mode

Yes you can. Best to plug in to the gateway modem. You'll need to be sure that the channels on 2.4Ghz on Orbi and your 2nd wifi AP are far appart is all. So set channel 11 on Orbi and channel 1 on the 2nd AP. Ensure the devices are placed far appart as well. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7