Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can i use R7000 in a wifi mesh?

mnj09
Tutor

Can i use R7000 in a wifi mesh?

Can i use R7000 router in a mesh?

Today i have a R7000 router in my home wifi. I want to extend it using a mesh solution. I wonder if my R7000 can be used as a router in my new mesh-system and i therefore only need to buy satellites? Or do i need to just cancel the R7000 router and start from scratch with dedicated mesh router and mesh satelittes? 

Thanks in advance!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Can i use R7000 in a wifi mesh?

Depends on how you want to do it. you could use the R7000 in mesh if you bought a mesh extender like the EX7700/etc. They work great when you only need 1 extender. But once you need more than 1 extender, then its recommended going with a full mesh like orbi. in that case, you'd need the orbi router. 

Message 2 of 6
mnj09
Tutor

Thanks! My original plan is to use a mesh with "Orbi" - and that question was exactly about this. If i was able to use my old router together with Orbi-units, so not need to buy a new orbi-router. 

But as i understand you, this is not possible....?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

If you plan on using orbi satellites you need* an orbi router. 

The only * to this is the fact that orbi voice and orbi outdoor can function as either an orbi device or an extender. But the standard orbi satellites need an orbi router to act as main. The R7000 wont' function as this. 

Message 4 of 6

@mnj09 wrote:

Mesh is a technology. Not a "solution".

What do you actually want to achieve?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use the R7000 has a main host router, disable the wifi radios on the R7000 and install a Orbi system and configure it for AP mode. 

@mnj09 wrote:

Today i have a R7000 router in my home wifi. I want to extend it using a mesh solution. I wonder if my R7000 can be used as a router in my new mesh-system and i therefore only need to buy satellites? Or do i need to just cancel the R7000 router and start from scratch with dedicated mesh router and mesh satelittes? 

Thanks in advance!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7