Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can netgear AC1900 wifi mesh extender be added to an Orbi mesh network

phyll2447
Aspirant

Can netgear AC1900 wifi mesh extender be added to an Orbi mesh network

Trying to extend Orbi Mesh network (one router and 3 satellites) to reach a garage using the AC1900 wifi mexh extender.  I have set up the extender using the same SSID and passwork as the Orbi network and have set it up giving it its own SSID and password for 2.4 gh and 5.  Neither work.  If I connect via WIFI to the extender I do not have internet access.  If I connect to the Orbi network I do have internet access.

Any thoughts.  Is what I am trying to do even possible.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can netgear AC1900 wifi mesh extender be added to an Orbi mesh network

Possible. We have seen including me that EX800 and EX7700 didn't initially connect to Orbi. NG gave us a FW update for the EXs to make them work. Sounds like similar maybe with your EX. You might post about this in the Extender forum or send NG a support ticket and see if they will do the same. If not, you may need to put something else out in the garage. 

How far away is the garage from the house and closest RBS? 

Message 2 of 6
phyll2447
Aspirant

The garage is about 150 feet from the Orbi router and about 60 feet from the closest satellite

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try this while you get with NG, get the EX into the same room as the RBR. Turn OFF the other RBSs temporarily. Get the EX connected to the RBR. Then move it to about 30 feet away from the RBR. Connect to the EX here with a wireless device. Does the devcie get any internet? If not, then you'll know and you can let NG know. Can't make any claims they will do anything for you. 

Something to think about. You might want to run a LAN cable out from the house to the garage if possible. Buried cable then put a RBS or any kind of router or router in AP mode out there in the garage and have it just be wired. 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@phyll2447 wrote:

Trying to extend Orbi Mesh network (one router and 3 satellites) to reach a garage using the AC1900 wifi mesh extender.  I have set up the extender using the same SSID and passwork as the Orbi network and have set it up giving it its own SSID and password for 2.4 gh and 5.  Neither work.  If I connect via WIFI to the extender I do not have internet access.  If I connect to the Orbi network I do have internet access.

Is this the product being discussed? http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/EX6400/EX6400_QSG_EN.pdf 

Which "mode" was being used? (extender or access point?)

Can you please describe the process used to hook it up (using the installation guide) and where it failed?

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I belive they got it connected in extender mode. When in this mode, they weren't able to get any internet access while connected to the EX. 

Having them try again with just the RBR with out the RBS online again will confirm that the EX may not be compatible right now. 

The EX could be used an a wired AP if they can get a wired from the house out to the garage. Just an alternative suggestion. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7