Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can not create a static route to single IP (Orbi 2.0.0.74)

allir
Tutor

Can not create a static route to single IP (Orbi 2.0.0.74)

When adding a static route to a single IP it is not applied. I'm trying to block access to certain IP's by adding static routes and directing them to the local interface on the Orbi.

I enter the IP, Subnet 255.255.255.255, Gateway 10.0.0.1 and Metric 2. I press apply but it does not. Does not show up in the list of static routes.
(10.0.0.1 is the Orbi's internal IP)

If I enter the same IP and a 24bit subnet (255.255.255.0). Press apply and it is applied and saved. Shows up in the list of static routes.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
TheEther
Guru

Don't use 10.0.0.1 for the gateway. Use an allocated address on your subnet, like 10.0.0.254. Just make sure that the Orbi's DHCP server can't hand out 10.0.0.254 to any device.
Message 2 of 8
allir
Tutor

Doesn't work. No matter what you put in other fields, using subnet mask 255.255.255.255 does not work.
My workaround for now is using 255.255.255.252, but it's not a solution as I'm blocking addressess that I don't want to block. I want/need to be able to route a single IP.

Message 3 of 8
TheEther
Guru

Sounds like a bug.
Message 4 of 8
allir
Tutor

Does indeed. The built in help even specifically mentions using 255.255.255.255 to route a single IP. 😕
Since this is my first netgear box, and only bought it friday, what is best to do? Does netgear support follow the community forums; should I put in a call; or is there some bug report form?

Message 5 of 8
TheEther
Guru

This is mainly a community forum that happens to be run by Netgear. While there are employees that post here, I think your best bet is to contact Netgear through their support channel. Go to support.netgear.com, scroll down towards the bottom and follow the links to contact them.

Good luck. I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a fix in a timely manner.
Message 6 of 8
allir
Tutor

I found a better workaround.
Enable telnet through the debug page. http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm

Connect via telnet and set the route manually via "ip route" or "route"

Add to /etc/rc.local to set them to be static.

There is a file, /var/StaticRoutesList, where I can see routes from the web interface being added, but not sure if that one can be modified. I tried to add a static route in there but it would not show up in the web interface, and when I added a new route there, my modification vanished.

Message 7 of 8
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@allir I agree with @TheEther submit a case with support. 

By the way, it's best to register your device so that they can log a case.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7