Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can not find Orbi wifi

sjp649
Aspirant

Can not find Orbi wifi

Just got a new Orbi rbk50 system. Plugged it all in and ran it through app. Everything set up perfect, changed SSID/password and had great service even out in my barn....so happy. About 2 hours later, I noticed my phone was back on my ISP 5g instead of my new orbi wifi. Checked on wifi setting and my orbi SSID is no where to be found. I have tried everything I know of at this point but can not figure anything out. I rebooted/reset both the ISP modem and orbi router many times to no avail. The only thing I notice that is interesting is my ethernet port light on ISP modem is not lit all the time, but if I plug that same ethernet from ISP modem into my laptop, I get internet and the light is always on. Also, currently the ring light goes from solid white then will pulse white, go to green then amber then back to white. Please someone point me in the right direction, I'm not well versed on these systems so please try using layman terms for me. Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can not find Orbi wifi

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What devices do you have connected?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@sjp649 wrote:

Just got a new Orbi rbk50 system. Plugged it all in and ran it through app. Everything set up perfect, changed SSID/password and had great service even out in my barn....so happy. using layman terms for me.

Since the laptop has an ethernet jack, you can plug the laptop into one of the Orbi LAN ports and connect to the Orbi web interface.  Since you have two routers (the ISP and the Orbi), it is not clear what IP address the Orbi router will have.  If the laptop is Windows, the "ipconfig /all" command (on the CMD: prompt) will show an IP for the "gateway", which is the Orbi.

Open a web browser and enter http://<ip of Orbi>.  This should bring up the login screen where the admin ID is "admin" (always) and the password is whatever you set it to during setup (the default is "password", and users are badgered to change it to something more complicated).  Note: this is NOT the WiFi password unless you deliberately made them the same.

The web interface will show what is going on with the Orbi in more detail than the "app".

Message 3 of 13
sjp649
Aspirant

On my isp modem the Ethernet port 1 where orbi is plugged in will switch by itself from disconnected to 1000M. Even when it’s not disconnected, I still can’t see orbi on WiFi. I also can not do anything by plugging in Ethernet from orbi to laptop, I don’t get an internet connection
Message 4 of 13
sjp649
Aspirant

Plugging in Ethernet from orbi to laptop doesn’t do anything. I don’t get any internet. I’m sure that’s because the Ethernet port on isp modem doesn’t stay connected. I have no idea. I’m at a loss
Message 5 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@sjp649 wrote:
Plugging in Ethernet from orbi to laptop doesn’t do anything. I don’t get any internet. I’m sure that’s because the Ethernet port on isp modem doesn’t stay connected. I have no idea. I’m at a loss

Talk to us about your modem. 

Message 6 of 13
sjp649
Aspirant

Isp modem is a Calix Gigacenter. I have tried different settings on the back side of it to no avail. I’ve been researching this all day. If I plug my laptop into any Ethernet port, I get internet and the light stays on. Plug orbi into Ethernet port and there’s no internet through orbi. Orbi continues to pulse white and after about 5 minutes, light turns green then amber then back to white then starts pulsing white. This continues as long as it’s powered up. Satellite is sitting right next to it and is solid magenta. Just doesn’t make sense that it worked perfectly for a few hours yesterday. I did try to do a firmware update when it worked yesterday but it didn’t seem to take. Not sure if maybe that has something to do with it? But I can’t even access orbi to check the firmware now.
Message 7 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, dear.  I had a similar experience last week where an Orbi satellite tried to update and then just died - DEAD.  Since I was 3,000 miles from home and could not wait for a replacement, I resorted to the "TFTP Trick".  (Trivial File Transfer Protocol)  (Not for the faint of heart.)  Basically, I downloaded the Orbi firmware to my laptop.  Installed a TFTP client on the laptop.  Disabled the d**m firewall.  Connected laptop directly to the satellite.  Used TFTP to push the firmware.  And..... it came back to life!  Here's the link that @FURRYe38 provided me: https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Please understand this was an ordeal, and I have been doing things like this for over 30 years. 

If this is "new", I would send it back as defective and get a new one.  Amazon and Costco take them back, "no questions".  Where did it come from?

Message 8 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@sjp649 wrote:
Isp modem is a Calix Gigacenter. 

Is that a modem/router combo..?????

Message 9 of 13
sjp649
Aspirant

Yes it is
Message 10 of 13
sjp649
Aspirant

It came from eBay as a new open box item which I believe to be not true at this moment. As far as the other things you mentioned, I don’t have a clue....
Message 11 of 13
sjp649
Aspirant

I tried the tftp but the light on back did turn amber like it said it would and the server interface kept reverting to a loop switchback or something like that....nothing is working

Message 12 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@sjp649 wrote:
It came from eBay as a new open box item which I believe to be not true at this moment. As far as the other things you mentioned, I don’t have a clue....

I have never returned anything purchased from eBay.  Good Luck.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7