Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can satellite WiFi be turned off?

twocybers
Star

Can satellite WiFi be turned off?

I have two satellite Orbi with all the latest updates.  I need the satellites to provide Wired internet connections.  I do not need theml for WiFi coverage.  

Sonos says their audio systems not work with WiFi systems using Range Extenders,  They say nothing about mesh - that said it is my understanding the Orbi system is technically not a mesh system.  

When I attempted to setup the Sonos, things were OK until I walked away from the Speaker.  As I walked into another part of the house, the music stopped and my iPhone told me the Sonos was not connected to the network.  I do know that iPhones will pick among signals to use the network signal providing the greatest bandwidth and signal strength - looking for both 2.4 and 5 GHz signals.  

It occured to me if I turned the WiFi from the satellites off, I might be able to get things working.

Other suggestions/solutions will be appreciated.  

Message 1 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That's a very good point.
Although I hadn't realised until you mentioned it, exactly the same is happening with mine.
Message 2 of 15
st_shaw
Master

You should be able to turn off Orbi's radios.  Try it and see what happens.  It should only take a minute to do.

In any case, Orbi WiFi and Sonos should coexist fine, but you need to manage the channels.  I haave 9 sonos compoents working fine with Orbi.

I would recommend you DO NOT connect the Sonos components to WiFi.  I would instead use the "sonosnet" configuration and configure Sonos and Orbi to use different 2.4 GHz channels. You should have no interference then.  

Just plug one, and only one, Sonos component into the router, or into any hardired connection on the LAN. Sonos will setup it's own invisible mesh network on 2.4 Ghz. You can choose the channel space (1, 6, or 11) via the Sonos Controller App. You need to make sure Orbi and Sonos use different channel spaces.  If Orbi uses 40 MHz on the 2.4 band you will only have two choices...  Put the orbi on Channel 1 and Sonos on channel 11, or vice versa. I have Orbi on 1 and Sonos on 11 and experience no issues.

Message 3 of 15
twocybers
Star

If I unplug an Orbi unit, they a revice that used wire connected internet to that Orbi will not function - not a good solution.

I have looked and can not find any way to turn the WiFi signal from an Orbi unit off.

As for plugging the Sonos into an Obri - they are in different rooms.  Since it is possible to have Sonos connect Wirelessly, that is what I would like.  If you are saying connect the Sonos only for purposes of setup to a wire, that is fine.  But if you are saying that I need to have my only Sonos box connected by wire to make it work, that is another issue.  

Don't I have to put the Sonos and my iPhone on the same channel?

Message 4 of 15
st_shaw
Master

@twocybers wrote:

I have looked and can not find any way to turn the WiFi signal from an Orbi unit off.

You raise several points.  Let's address one at a time.

To turn Orbi WiFi off you log into the Orbi GUI.  Use a wired computer.  Navigate to Advanced, Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings.

Now uncheck the "Enable Wireless Router Radio" checkboxes.  There are two of these.  One is under  "Advanced Wireless Settings (2.4GHz b/g/n)" The other is under "Advanced Wireless Settings (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac)"

Message 5 of 15
st_shaw
Master

@twocybers wrote:

As for plugging the Sonos into an Obri - they are in different rooms.  Since it is possible to have Sonos connect Wirelessly, that is what I would like.  If you are saying connect the Sonos only for purposes of setup to a wire, that is fine.  But if you are saying that I need to have my only Sonos box connected by wire to make it work, that is another issue.  

Don't I have to put the Sonos and my iPhone on the same channel?

Ok, so you only have one sonos component. That's good to know.

However, now it's unclear what you are trying to do.  On one hand you say you don't need to use WiFi and ask how to turn WiFi OFF on Orbi.  On the other hand you say you would like to connect Sonos wirelessly.  These two statements don't make sense.

If you can explain in more detail what you want to do, and what you think isn't working now, maybe I can help.

Message 6 of 15
twocybers
Star

Soory for slow reply.  We had some friends drop in.  

@you wrote:

@st_shaw wrote:

You raise several points.  Let's address one at a time.

To turn Orbi WiFi off you log into the Orbi GUI.  Use a wired computer.  Navigate to Advanced, Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings.

Now uncheck the "Enable Wireless Router Radio" checkboxes.  There are two of these.  One is under  "Advanced Wireless Settings (2.4GHz b/g/n)" The other is under "Advanced Wireless Settings (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac)"

I was aware of the process/options you described.  I inadvertantly thought those would turn off the WiFi connection between my base station and the satellites which I had assumed was how internet access went from my Base Station to the satellites.  

Thank you for pointing out my error.  

Message 7 of 15
twocybers
Star

You wrote:

However, now it's unclear what you are trying to do.  On one hand you say you don't need to use WiFi and ask how to turn WiFi OFF on Orbi.  On the other hand you say you would like to connect Sonos wirelessly.  These two statements don't make sense.

If you can explain in more detail what you want to do, and what you think isn't working now, maybe I can help.

When I said I do not need WiFi, that was unclear.  I have no need for the Orbi system to cover my entire house with WiFi - a lot of the promotional Orbi talk referrs to large areas/houses and getting a WiFi signal into all corners.  I have had WiFi in my entire house with say a single Apple Airport Extreme - either the current tall unit or the previous flat unit.

I use the Orbi to provide general WiFi (lots of other options exist that do not have multiple satellites which would be adequate) plus Access Points.

I  need to provide ethernet wired connections at two locations in my house - these are places were running cables would be hard.  If I put my Router in those locations I would expect to have at best weak WiFi in our  bedroom - not good since we have various iOS and tvOS devices which use WiFi.  Additionally I have a NAS unit that is connected to the Orbi Base Station which we use for Apple's Time Machine backups.

Now what I want -- 

I want to have a Play1 placed in a room - think of it as a hallway or foyer.  I have an electrical outlet there.  There are no COAX, Ethernet or twisted pair connections in that area.  If I had the Play1 there, I would play music from my iTunes music library for example while preparing meals.  We live in a valley and the radio reception is poor.  So being able to listen to say Public Radio via Tune-In would be very nice.  

I want to have the typical Sonos experience with a Play1 in that location.  Assuming all gets worked out, as phase two, I likely would get two more Play1 units for other areas of our house.  

I am sorry I confused you.  If this is not clear, please try again   

Message 8 of 15
st_shaw
Master

Best option: buy a Sonos Boost, wire it to router, use Play1 wherever you please wirelessly on private Sonos mesh network. Add as many additional Sonos speakers as desired later. 

It's still not clear why you cannot do what you want now using Orbi with wifi on.  You would need to connect your Play1 to wifi though. Shouldn't be an issue with only one speaker. 

Message 9 of 15
twocybers
Star

I have had the Boost suggested.  

Maybe I had a bad unit.  Maybe I made a set up error.  I know of one item in the "Directions" I used was in error.  

(By "Directions" I am referring to steps listed on my iPhone as I went through Setup.  I was asked if I wanted to use a Music library and the iPhone said the Library was not shared.  Well it was shared in Apple Settings.  I now am told it is necessary to have a Sonos App installed on my Mac - the location of my iTunes library.  Also I have found an item on the Sonos Site that says I need to change my iTunes settings - see the link at the bottom of this page https://goo.gl/lK6C4n )

I am hardened and based on you and other people who have successfully setup a Sonos unit on an Orbi system I expect to get another Play1 and try again.  

I would like to check one specific point in an earlier exchange in this thread.

If I turn off the WiFi by unchecking the "Enable Router Radio" checkboxes, will the satellites still be able to function as Access points for the ethernet cables I connect?  

Thank you for your assistance.

Message 10 of 15
st_shaw
Master

@twocybers wrote:

I have had the Boost suggested.  

Maybe I had a bad unit.  Maybe I made a set up error.  I know of one item in the "Directions" I used was in error.  

(By "Directions" I am referring to steps listed on my iPhone as I went through Setup.  I was asked if I wanted to use a Music library and the iPhone said the Library was not shared.  Well it was shared in Apple Settings.  I now am told it is necessary to have a Sonos App installed on my Mac - the location of my iTunes library.  Also I have found an item on the Sonos Site that says I need to change my iTunes settings - see the link at the bottom of this page https://goo.gl/lK6C4n )

I am hardened and based on you and other people who have successfully setup a Sonos unit on an Orbi system I expect to get another Play1 and try again.  

I would like to check one specific point in an earlier exchange in this thread.

If I turn off the WiFi by unchecking the "Enable Router Radio" checkboxes, will the satellites still be able to function as Access points for the ethernet cables I connect?  

Thank you for your assistance.

You still haven't said what the problem is...  What is it that's not working?

I expect the Orbi backhaul will still work with the wifi turned off, but I cannot test it myself until tomorrow night.  Why not test it yourself? It should only take a minute.

Message 11 of 15
twocybers
Star

Since I last posted to this thread, I have done a bit of work on the issue.  

Bottom line, my issues with the Sonos equipment were not related to Orbi.  Since the first Sonos unit I had did not work and the two I have now both work, I am going to say the issue was defective hardware and/or software associated with the Sonos unit.  The obvious clue too this was during installation/setup of the Sonos unit, I was never asked to provide the PassKey to my WiFi network.

After I was told by a Sonos User the PassKey was required, I decided to try a second Sonos unit.  It worked.

I would like to thank those who contributed to this thread.  

Message 12 of 15
st_shaw
Master

It's good to hear you got it working.

Since you now own Sonos, you should understand that it IS possible to setup Sonos without using your WiFi password.  Sonos can be setup in two modes:

1) Boost mode, where you wire one Sonos component to the LAN.  When you add new Sonos components, they all communicate through the one wired Sonos unit using a priprietary mesh network, called "sonosnet"  This is the configuration I receommended to you earlier. This mode does not require your WiFi password.

2) WiFi mode, where each Sonos component communicates using standard WiFi on your existing WiFi network. This mode requires that Sonos knows your WiFi password.

Message 13 of 15
twocybers
Star

I was aware of the Boost mode and expected it would not require the PassKey since the Boost device is wire connected.  But I made a decision I was not going to get the Boost device.  

Message 14 of 15
st_shaw
Master

@twocybers wrote:

I was aware of the Boost mode and expected it would not require the PassKey since the Boost device is wire connected.  But I made a decision I was not going to get the Boost device.  

Yes.  But please understand that the Boost device is NOT required to use Boost Mode and the Sonosnet mesh network.  If you wire ANY sonos device into the LAN, you can operate in "Boost" mode.

So, if you plug your Sonos device into the LAN, then begin the setup process, you would not be asked for a PassKey.  And, the Sonos device would use Boost mode.  And the Sonos devices would cease to operate if you unplugged the device from the LAN.

It's confusing and not that well documented.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7