Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can someone explain how RBR40 works

dchbbc
Apprentice

Can someone explain how RBR40 works

I’m not sure if I understand how my Orbi system works. I have the RBR40 in my living room. I have 3 satellites, RBS20’s, 1 in the garage, 1 in a bedroom and 1 by the front door. I have 2 wireless security cameras in the backyard. The RBR40 and the garage satellite are about equal distance from the security cameras in the yard. The cameras haven’t been getting a good WiFi signal so I moved the satellite from the bedroom out onto the closed in patio which puts it about 30 feet from the camera and about 20 feet from the RBR40. So now that satellite is the closest to the camera but the camera is not connecting to that satellite, it is connecting to the satellite further away and is still getting a weak signal. I just ordered another satellite which I think I’m going to cancel because I’m not getting a better signal in the backyard. Why wouldn’t the camera connect to the closest satellite instead of one further away? Right now that satellite shows nothing is connecting to it. Maybe I’m just confused how this works. I don’t know a lot about routers and satellites and settings. I’m a plug and play guy but if I can improve my coverage I’d appreciate some help. I have ATT gigabyte internet, the fastest they offer in my area. My Dish installer said my speeds were faster than he’s seen before so I don’t think it is weak internet.
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can someone explain how RBR40 works

When most WiFi devices get connected to an access point, they tend to "stick" to that access point until the signal "goes away".  Things like smartphone and laptops often have software that continually looks at signal levels and changes access points.

My first step would be to power cycle the camera and see what it connects to when it comes back on.  Some cameras have a "reset" capability that does the same thing without having to physically touch the camera.

Message 2 of 3
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Can someone explain how RBR40 works

@dchbbc wrote:
I’m not sure if I understand how my Orbi system works. I have the RBR40 in my living room. I have 3 satellites, RBS20’s, 1 in the garage, 1 in a bedroom and 1 by the front door. I have 2 wireless security cameras in the backyard. The RBR40 and the garage satellite are about equal distance from the security cameras in the yard. The cameras haven’t been getting a good WiFi signal so I moved the satellite from the bedroom out onto the closed in patio which puts it about 30 feet from the camera and about 20 feet from the RBR40. So now that satellite is the closest to the camera but the camera is not connecting to that satellite, it is connecting to the satellite further away and is still getting a weak signal. I just ordered another satellite which I think I’m going to cancel because I’m not getting a better signal in the backyard. Why wouldn’t the camera connect to the closest satellite instead of one further away? Right now that satellite shows nothing is connecting to it. Maybe I’m just confused how this works. I don’t know a lot about routers and satellites and settings. I’m a plug and play guy but if I can improve my coverage I’d appreciate some help. I have ATT gigabyte internet, the fastest they offer in my area. My Dish installer said my speeds were faster than he’s seen before so I don’t think it is weak internet.

Some Cameras are stubborn to get them to connect where you want. So when you get a stubborn one you can try a couple of things.

1. After the camera is in the position you want, and your satellite, that you want to connect to is running, connect the camera to the WIFI. If your camera shows multiple WIFI names that are the same, (mine do), connect to the one that has the strongest signal.

2. If the camera is up and running and connected to a satellite, and all your satellites are functioning, reboot the camera. When it comes up, it should connect to the strongest signal.

I have found the RBR40 has a little better coverage than the RBR20, so I assume it is the same with the RBS20. So your camera may possibly choose the RBR40.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7