Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't Add Circle

bayoyong
Tutor

Can't Add Circle

Model is RBR20. Wasn't listed in list.

Trying to add Circle. Says it's built in. Says it's compatible. When I try to pair from the Circle app, it says I need to update the firmware. Click update. Eventually gives me an error message saying this firmware isn't compatible. Stuck in a loop. Can't pair. Brand new Orbi. 

Thx.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 29
BigD56
Aspirant

Can you verify your model and firmware version? Best to login to the router through your browser and go to Advanced Tab to check router information.

Message 2 of 29
bayoyong
Tutor

Hardware Version   RBR20

Firmware Version   V2.0.0.64

GUI Language Version   V1.0.0.302

Operation Mode   Router
Message 3 of 29
Starbucky
Apprentice

Circle is not included with firmware 2.0.x only the 2.1.x have Circle integration.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 29
BigD56
Aspirant

You need to upgrade to the latest firmware version. Unforunatly the utility in the web administration does not show available updates and may even list your version as current. You will need to go directly to Netgear support page and find the update. When you are on the page that shows your firmware version look for the "Previous Versions" link. Under that you will find the current 2.1.1.X version for your RBR20. You will need to do a manual update from the Advanced->Administration tab. If you have any satillites make sure to do the master router first.

Message 5 of 29
BigD56
Aspirant

Current available version for your RBR20 is 2.1.2.18.

Message 6 of 29
BigD56
Aspirant

Also once you update to that version you will need to go under the web admin to Basic->Parental Controls and make sure Circle is enabled.

Message 7 of 29
bayoyong
Tutor

Thx. @Starbucky is saying this version has not been stable. So, I guess I will wait for a more stable, non-beta, version. Circle is listed as a feature that comes with this model (advertised on the box). So, disappointing it's only beta. Would rather have reliability than Circle at this point, though. Thx for the help.

Message 8 of 29
Starbucky
Apprentice

Sorry my response was short... should have given you more direction.

Note that it hasn't been that unstable or I would change back to the current firmware. A couple of obersable glitches in a two week period. Updating the firmware is pretty easy so you could try Circle out and if you notice any issues you can simply change the firmware back.

Thanks,

Message 9 of 29
BigD56
Aspirant

I have been running this version for months with the only issues being related to the backhaul with my satillite when streaming to my audio components. Also had not seen this listed as "Beta" just not a shipping version yet from Netgear. My RBR50's were brought last October and also had a 2.0.x.x version installed. Each model has its own set of firmware along with "previous versions". My model currently has about 15 available versions. Yours only has the current version you have loaded and the 2.1.1.18 version. This is the way Netgear has been for years with support. Only saying as without talking to Support directly, you may never be notified to update. 

Good Luck,

Message 10 of 29
bayoyong
Tutor

Ha. Ok, thx so much for the info. I will give it a shot. Good to know I can go back if needed. Thx again!

Message 11 of 29
bayoyong
Tutor

Trying to add 2.1.2.18. Keeps saying this:

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

Message 12 of 29
bayoyong
Tutor

Btw...am attempting to install the Satellite fw first using the website manual update.

Message 13 of 29
bayoyong
Tutor

Release notes say to update the satellites first...

Message 14 of 29
Starbucky
Apprentice

Are you sure you're using the RBS20 firmware file and not the RBR20?

Message 15 of 29
bayoyong
Tutor

Yes. 🙂 R for router. S for Satellite.

Message 16 of 29
Starbucky
Apprentice

You probably already did this but did you power cycle the satellite and try again?

I think I may have done it the other way, router first for the RBK50. I don't think there's any big danger in doing that, just maybe having to re-initialize satellite with router.  

Message 17 of 29
bayoyong
Tutor

I didn’t try power cycling. I will try that. Thx!
Message 18 of 29
BigD56
Aspirant

I agree with Starbucky as most of the time want you to do the router first (RBR firmware) then the satillite (RBS firmware). Also that way you can upgrade the satillite from the web admin on your router admin page.

Message 19 of 29
bayoyong
Tutor

Ok. I will try again. I’ve tried both with the same results thus far. Thx again guys.
Message 20 of 29
Starbucky
Apprentice

You are extracting/unzipping the firmware file first right?

The download is *.zip and you want the *.img file.

Message 21 of 29
bayoyong
Tutor

Yes, I used the .img not the .zip file. 🙂 

Message 22 of 29
Starbucky
Apprentice

OK good just making sure :-). Are you sure you grabbed the right firmware?

The file you have isn't likely corrupted because it extracted fine so maybe go to download section and select your product again and download again to make sure... 

Message 23 of 29
bayoyong
Tutor

Ok, will do. I really appreciate your guys' help.

Message 24 of 29
BigD56
Aspirant

Maybe this will help to clarify:

If you have both a router (RBR20 as you put in your post) and a satillite (could be RBS20) then the product you brought was most likely a RBK20 (K for kit). If you look under that model on the support page for firmware you will see both RBR20_2.1.2.18.zip and RBS20_2.1.2.18.zip. You need both files to be downloaded and expanded. As mentioned you need to make sure you are on the router and load it with the RBR img file. Once that is updated you can use the RBS img file to update the satillite.

To make sure, is this what your two units look like?

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7