Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't Connect Amazon Echo or Echo Dot To New Orbi Wifi..Help!

Starhalls
Follower

Can't Connect Amazon Echo or Echo Dot To New Orbi Wifi..Help!

So we just got a new Orbi system (RBK50) and all devices connect just fine EXCEPT our Amazon Echo's and Echo Dot's. They won't connect to our wifi at all. I even tried deregistering one of the Echo's which restores back to factory specs but it still doesn't work. I know it's not an issue with the Echo's because they've always worked fine with our previous Router.

When I try to connect and setup wifi, I always get his error message:

Your device was unable to connect to your wifi network. Please exit setup and try again. Visit help for troubleshooting tips.

Please try again error 6:1:101:9:4

We can't keep the new Orbi system if the Echo's won't work on them. I've tried unplugging both the Orbi and the Echo and no luck.

Phones connect to the Orbi wifi with no problem but I tried with 3 different Echo's and Dots and get the same error with all of them.

How can we get the Amazon Echo's and Dot's to work with Orbi?

Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 30
guzzijason
Apprentice

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you. I've got an Amazon Tap hooked up, no problem.

Message 2 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What security mode are you using?

What channels are you using? 

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Try disabling Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming if seen and see if this helps any. 

Try setting a manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. 

@Starhallswrote:

So we just got a new Orbi system (RBK50) and all devices connect just fine EXCEPT our Amazon Echo's and Echo Dot's. They won't connect to our wifi at all. I even tried deregistering one of the Echo's which restores back to factory specs but it still doesn't work. I know it's not an issue with the Echo's because they've always worked fine with our previous Router.

When I try to connect and setup wifi, I always get his error message:

Your device was unable to connect to your wifi network. Please exit setup and try again. Visit help for troubleshooting tips.

Please try again error 6:1:101:9:4

We can't keep the new Orbi system if the Echo's won't work on them. I've tried unplugging both the Orbi and the Echo and no luck.

Phones connect to the Orbi wifi with no problem but I tried with 3 different Echo's and Dots and get the same error with all of them.

How can we get the Amazon Echo's and Dot's to work with Orbi?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 30
drtrotter74
Tutor

I am having the same issue, been round and round with Amazon and their tech support.  They have no clue why this echo dot is not not working.  I suspect there is some setting with the my wifi, but have no idea what it would be. If you figured this out, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 4 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What security mode are you using?

What channels are you using? 

Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Try disabling Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming if seen and see if this helps any. 

Try setting a manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. 

@drtrotter74 wrote:

I am having the same issue, been round and round with Amazon and their tech support.  They have no clue why this echo dot is not not working.  I suspect there is some setting with the my wifi, but have no idea what it would be. If you figured this out, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave

Message 5 of 30
ptsmrr
Aspirant

@drtrotter74 wrote:

Thanks,

Dave

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 30
infinitemonkey
Initiate

I have just managed to connect an Echo Dot (gen3) to my Orbi - it did not work initially and I tried lots of different things to get it to connect.  I also did a hard reset the Dot by holding down the button for around 25 seconds).  What seemed to work was running setup on the Dot again, then adding in the network access point by typing in the SSID (name of the Orbi wifi network), the password for Orbi network access, and then the important bit - selecting the correct network security option - in my case WPA2-PSK.  The Echo Dot  needs to match the setting on your Orbi router. The Echo Dot might also call the security setting WPA2 (Personal) in the Alexa app.

After my initial setup attempts failed, I was able to connect using the Guest *unsecured* network access on the Orbi - and this led me to think that perhaps it was the security settings on my normal Orbi network.

Hope this works for you.

Message 7 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know that you got yours working. Hopefully it will help others. 

@infinitemonkey wrote:

I have just managed to connect an Echo Dot (gen3) to my Orbi - it did not work initially and I tried lots of different things to get it to connect.  I also did a hard reset the Dot by holding down the button for around 25 seconds).  What seemed to work was running setup on the Dot again, then adding in the network access point by typing in the SSID (name of the Orbi wifi network), the password for Orbi network access, and then the important bit - selecting the correct network security option - in my case WPA2-PSK.  The Echo Dot  needs to match the setting on your Orbi router. The Echo Dot might also call the security setting WPA2 (Personal) in the Alexa app.

After my initial setup attempts failed, I was able to connect using the Guest *unsecured* network access on the Orbi - and this led me to think that perhaps it was the security settings on my normal Orbi network.

Hope this works for you.

Message 8 of 30
jgvardaman
Aspirant

Thanks to the person that suggested manually adding the network to the Alexa hardware - this worked for me every time...though a pain that you can't have Amazon remember the network or just click on the existing network.

Message 9 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you might mention to Amazon to make an improvent with. Smiley Wink

@jgvardaman wrote:

Thanks to the person that suggested manually adding the network to the Alexa hardware - this worked for me every time...though a pain that you can't have Amazon remember the network or just click on the existing network.

Message 10 of 30
guzzijason2
Guide

Strange. I've connected numerous Echo devices to my Orbi network, and it simply *just worked*. No special jumping through hoops required.

__Jason

Message 11 of 30
laleach
Aspirant

I can't thank you enough...been trying to figure this out for weeks. thank you!!!

Message 12 of 30
DJSam
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with one of my Echo Dots (gen. 2).  No one at Amazon can figure out why it can't connect to my wifi.  It can, however, connect to my hotspot!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 13 of 30
laleach
Aspirant

I’m not sure if this was already mentioned, but I had the same problem and found you must manually enter the network and password. Do not let Echo search. Then it should work.
Message 14 of 30
DJSam
Aspirant

Thank you 😊 

Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 15 of 30
bhousel
Initiate

I figured out the solution to this!

By default, the Orbi wifi security is set to "WPA2-PSK [AES]".

You need to change it to "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]".  TKIP is a less secure backward compatible setting, but that's what the Amazon Echo devices need.

You can change this setting by doing this:

1. Make sure your computer is connected to the Orbi wifi.

2. In a browser, visit orbilogin.com to access the management panel.  (if this doesn't work, you might need to access it directly via the IP address, e.g. 10.0.0.1).

3. Under "Wireless" menu, you'll find this setting under "Security Options".  Switch the radio button to "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]", then click the big "Apply" button at the top.

4. You'll see some warnings that this may slow your network, but just click ok for them.  It will take a minute to reboot everything.

5. Then go through the Amazon Echo setup again using the Alexa app.  It will finally work!

Good luck!

Message 16 of 30
DJSam
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. Try this but I still can’t get it to connect. It will connect to my hotspot which is really strange

Message 17 of 30
Ragar99
Luminary

@bhousel wrote:

I figured out the solution to this!

By default, the Orbi wifi security is set to "WPA2-PSK [AES]".

You need to change it to "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]".  TKIP is a less secure backward compatible setting, but that's what the Amazon Echo devices need.

You can change this setting by doing this:

1. Make sure your computer is connected to the Orbi wifi.

2. In a browser, visit orbilogin.com to access the management panel.  (if this doesn't work, you might need to access it directly via the IP address, e.g. 10.0.0.1).

3. Under "Wireless" menu, you'll find this setting under "Security Options".  Switch the radio button to "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]", then click the big "Apply" button at the top.

4. You'll see some warnings that this may slow your network, but just click ok for them.  It will take a minute to reboot everything.

5. Then go through the Amazon Echo setup again using the Alexa app.  It will finally work!

Good luck!

3 Dots connected and working just fine using WPA2-PSK [AES].

Message 18 of 30
GlennMc
Aspirant

Had the same issue (echo not connecting) and the security settings were the only thing that I found that would allow them to connect. Not sure what I gave up with the settings but it worked.

Message 19 of 30
Tcrus
Luminary

I am having the same problem. I just upgraded to the ORBI BK850 (WIFI 6) and for the life of me cant get alexa devices to connect to wifi. I expect a lot more from a $700 router. Anyways, I tried the method mentioneed above and no success. Anyone else find a work around? 

Message 20 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

@Tcrus wrote:

I am having the same problem. I just upgraded to the ORBI BK850 (WIFI 6) and for the life of me cant get alexa devices to connect to wifi. I expect a lot more from a $700 router. Anyways, I tried the method mentioneed above and no success. Anyone else find a work around? 

Message 21 of 30
SRoth222
Aspirant

I recently purchased an Orbi RBK23 Wi-Fi mesh. I could connect my iPhones, iPad, smart LG TV, portable PC, Denon surround sound system, and even my Tesla. However, I could not get my Amazon Echo 2 or Google Home to connect! I finally got them to work by going to OrbiLogin.com and manually updating the firmware for both the modem (RBR20) and satellites (RBS20) devices. These are hot fixes (Firmware Version V2.3.5.36) and are not automatically downloaded and installed via auto update.

Now, I'm happy as a clam!

Message 22 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it running. 

FYI, the RBR is not a modem. It's a router. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@SRoth222 wrote:

I recently purchased an Orbi RBK23 Wi-Fi mesh. I could connect my iPhones, iPad, smart LG TV, portable PC, Denon surround sound system, and even my Tesla. However, I could not get my Amazon Echo 2 or Google Home to connect! I finally got them to work by going to OrbiLogin.com and manually updating the firmware for both the modem (RBR20) and satellites (RBS20) devices. These are hot fixes (Firmware Version V2.3.5.36) and are not automatically downloaded and installed via auto update.

Now, I'm happy as a clam!

Message 23 of 30
kkzz8888
Aspirant

Thanks @SRoth222 ! I have problem connecting to my Amazon Echo Dot 3rd gen (only that, all other devices are fine). Where did you get the hotfix? My router is RBR20, with the latest official firmware version of 

V2.3.5.26
Message 24 of 30
SRoth222
Aspirant

Go to https://www.netgear.com/support/download/?_ga=2.40587618.193522718.1578010367-1975898161.1576458348

and select your device. Then download the newest version of the firmware ("Firmware Version V2.3.5.36"). Follow the instructions...

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7