Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't Downgrade RBS50 Sattellite Firmware

JRestivo
Aspirant

Can't Downgrade RBS50 Sattellite Firmware

I'm trying to dowgrade the RBS50 from 2.7.0.70 to 2.5.1.16 but get the following error when manually trying to install the firmware:

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

I originally upgraded the firmware on both the RBR50 and RBS50 to 2.7.0.70 because of unstable connectivty issues. I was able to downgrade the RBR50 to 2.5.1.16 but get ther error mentioned above when downgrading the RBS50.

I have reset the RBS50 as well as tried different firmware versions but get the same error.

VERY dissappointed with the quality of the firmware and degradation in connectivty with this product. Have been a happy customer from June of 2017 when I first purchased the product but recent issues have made me sour on the company.

Message 1 of 23
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Can't Downgrade RBS50 Sattellite Firmware

I would upgrade the router back to 2.7.0.70, set everything up and then check settings. When I updated my system, certain settings got set back to default. I can verify that the new firmware is stable and fast, as long as the settings are correct.

So check these settings:
Disable Circle, Armor, Daisy Chaining, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and uncheck 20/40Mhz Coexistence.
Enable WMM, Implicit BeamForming, Mu-MIMO
Set Short preamble mode. Save settings, reboot Orbi.

Message 2 of 23
JRestivo
Aspirant

Thank you. I'll give a try and post the outcome.

Message 3 of 23
JRestivo
Aspirant

I've upgraded the firmware to V2.7.0.70 on the RBR 50 and applied the settings you've suggested. Both the RBR50 and RBS50 are on the save versions of firmware now. Currently getting ~130MB throughput in my basement office with RBR50 located upstairs on 1st floor. The RBR50 is getting ~350MB directly connected to cable modem. RBS50 is located on 2nd floor of the house but I haven't checked it's throughout yet.

So far, so good. I'll need to moitor it over the next few days to see if I get performance degradation over time or not. Will keep this post updated.

Thank your for your help. 🙂

Message 4 of 23
Mstrbig
Master

Sounds great. Glad you got it working.

Message 5 of 23
JRestivo
Aspirant

Back with the original problem.

I've been getting good performance (120 MB - 200 MB) but have had some slower times, sometimes under 30 MB, but still able to function. Then today, inexplicably, I lose all connectivity to the RBR50. I tested it with my deskyop, laptop and phone. No wireless. I couldn't get to the admin interface. The only way to fix it was to reboot the RBR50.

I'm getting close to buying a new solution. I can't work effectively from home with these continued failures. 

Message 6 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS and setup from scratch. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://https://https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@JRestivo wrote:

Back with the original problem.

I've been getting good performance (120 MB - 200 MB) but have had some slower times, sometimes under 30 MB, but still able to function. Then today, inexplicably, I lose all connectivity to the RBR50. I tested it with my deskyop, laptop and phone. No wireless. I couldn't get to the admin interface. The only way to fix it was to reboot the RBR50.

I'm getting close to buying a new solution. I can't work effectively from home with these continued failures. 

Message 7 of 23
JRestivo
Aspirant

Thank you, but I've already done that. The RBR50 and RBS50 are on the 1st floor and 2nd floor of the house respectively.

Message 8 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Message 9 of 23
JRestivo
Aspirant

Approximately 40ft.

The satellite is on the 2nd floor of my house, router on the 1st and I'm in the basement. I lose wireless connectivity irregarless of where I am in the house. Currently, have a PC, laptop and cellphone in the basement, wife has laptop and cellphone on 2nd floor, have smart TVs everywhere as well as other devices. All lose connectivity at the same time.

It's definitely the RBR50 not able to send out signal. I can plug hard wired into it and have no access problems at all. Problems started about 6 months or so ago when I upgraded firmware - I don't recall which version. Purchased a new cable modem as well and had new wiring run from the street to my house.

I'm getting ready to move on to another companys's solution.

Message 10 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

I would try moving the RBS closer to the RBR and see. Try 30 feet. 

Might try loading v30 version of FW and check to see if this changes anything, this version would have been prior to 6 months ago. v16 came out back in Feb est time frame which may have been where you first saw this issue. 

Message 11 of 23
JRestivo
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback.

All neighbors have wifi and the houses are ~50'-100' apart. I'll move the satellite closer and check the channels. The one problem downgrading the firmware is that it won't load on the satellite. I get the error below. I don't have this problem on the router.

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

Message 12 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure you are loading the RBS file and not the RBR...

v70 loaded on the RBS? 

Message 13 of 23
JRestivo
Aspirant

Current version loaded on both RBR50 and RBS50 is 2.7.0.70. Is there a diffferent firmware file for the RBS than the RBR?

Message 14 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, there are separate FW files for the RBR and RBS. 

Message 15 of 23
JRestivo
Aspirant

Thank you, I didn't realize that. That's why I got the error. Do you reccommend I downgrade to 2.5.1.8?

Message 16 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Try v30

Message 17 of 23
JRestivo
Aspirant

OK, thank you very much. I'll let you know how it goes.

Message 18 of 23
JRestivo
Aspirant

Successfully downgraded both router and sattellite to v2.3.5.30. Let's see how things tomorrow. Thanks again for your help and I'll post an update.

Message 19 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 23
JRestivo
Aspirant

No luck. Performance has dropped down to less than 20 MB this morning. I don't know if I have any other options to fix the problem.

Message 21 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 22 of 23
JRestivo
Aspirant

OK, I'll give it one more shot and see if that will work. Thanks.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7