Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't Install Firmware Update RBR850-V3.2.17.12_1.4.14 Using the Orbi App

Lypny
Tutor

Can't Install Firmware Update RBR850-V3.2.17.12_1.4.14 Using the Orbi App

Hello everyone,

I've got an RBK852 AX6000 (system), and recently received an email saying that I should update the firmware using the Orbi app. 

My current firmware version is V3.2.16.22_1.4.9 and my understanding is that the new version is V3.2.17.12_1.4.14.

I've tried repeatedly to update using the Orbi app but always get the message, "No new firmware is available at this time." However, I found the new firmware on Orbi's website and downloaded manually, but I can't install it because MacBook no longer come with Ethernet ports! How can I install the new firmware.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Gregory

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Lypny wrote:

I've tried repeatedly to update using the Orbi app but always get the message, "No new firmware is available at this time." However, I found the new firmware on Orbi's website and downloaded manually, but I can't install it because MacBook no longer come with Ethernet ports! How can I install the new firmware.

Before updating the Orbi firmware, it might be worth a few minutes to head over to the community forum for the Orbi "AX" products and see if there are any posts describing the results of this firmware update.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

There seem to be far too many posts in Orbi forums that start off with, "I got an email, updated my Orbi firmware, and now (this horrible thing) has happened."  The release notes make this firmware update seem worthwhile.

https://kb.netgear.com/000062825/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-17-12 

But, it never hurts to see what has been reported.  (I personally never install new firmware until it has been out and reported on for several weeks.)

If you really want to do a manual firmware update, it can be done over a WiFi connection.  We "old guys" prefer the familiarity of a wired connection, but a WiFi connection will do just as well.  When the Orbi reboots, the WiFi connection will drop. After it "comes alive" again (about 2-3 minutes) simply reconnect to the WiFi network and log in to the web interface again.

Message 2 of 8
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

We "old guys" prefer the familiarity of a wired connection, but a WiFi connection will do just as well.  

...and there are us real old guys who prefer to sit it out and let the living-on-the-edgers have at it.  Sorta test the waters, Know what I mean, Vern?

Message 3 of 8
Lypny
Tutor

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I have seen the posts about problems resulting from other firmware updates. I received the notice on March 26. I will poke around. Good to know that I can take a shot at installing the update over WiFi.

Thanks again,

Gregory

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:

Thank you.

@Lypny wrote:

Hello everyone,

I've got an RBK852 AX6000 (system), and recently received an email saying that I should update the firmware using the Orbi app. 

My current firmware version is V3.2.16.22_1.4.9 and my understanding is that the new version is V3.2.17.12_1.4.14.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Gregory

Message 5 of 8
vajim
Master

you may want to post your questions here:

Message 6 of 8
Lypny
Tutor

Hello Vajim and FURRYe38,

I've reposted to the Orbi(AX) forum as you suggested.

Thanks,

Gregory

Message 7 of 8
vajim
Master

@Lypny wrote:

Hello Vajim and FURRYe38,

I've reposted to the Orbi(AX) forum as you suggested.

Thanks,

Gregory

Thank you....it's a great section over there

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7