Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't Port Forward or Host Game Servers with Orbi

FURRYe38
Guru

Possible IP address conflict. Disconnecting the router from the ISP Modem first, releases the IP address. Then after you set and configure AP mode on the Orbi router and let it reboot, then connect the cable to the WAN port while its booting, should ensure the Orbi gets a new IP address from the ISP modem/router. 

Message 26 of 48
Augustus_377
Guide

I enabled AP mode but my friend still cant see my game!

Message 27 of 48
Augustus_377
Guide

In relation to my other reply, he cant connect either when he sees it. I did the unplug thing and turned on AP mode. I then took my laptop upstairs and plugged the ethernet into my extender Orbi for a faster connection than wifi. But he still can't connect!

Message 28 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

FIrst off, do you get internet thru the AP mode system? 

You'll need to configure the ISP modem for any port useage and forwarding configurations since the ISP modem is still the main host router for your gaming needs. Contact the ISP or Mfr of the modem for help and informatoin on this. The Orbi in AP mode is now just strickly data pass-through only. No routing abilities. This is all being handled by the ISP Modem/router now. 

Message 29 of 48
Augustus_377
Guide

Im connected to my Orbi wifi via AP mode

Message 30 of 48
Augustus_377
Guide

I dont want to sound rude in any way because of the fast support from you, but I'll be sitting here waiting beause I have nothing better to do besides wait for help. I need this to be set up as soon as possible because if my mom finds me wang-jangling the internet, im toast.

Message 31 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

I would get on the phone with the ISP support. ISP Modem routers vary with options and fetures. I don't use or have this particular modem so I don't have the experience to help you with it. ISP Tech services will be able to help you configure it though.Do a search on the web for your model modem and game port configurations. See if anything pops up for you. 

The Orbi doesn't need to be configured any more. Just need to get gaming port configurations set up on the ISP modem now is all. 

Message 32 of 48
Augustus_377
Guide

I was able to host servers perfectly fine before on my ISP's WiFi, am I forgetting some setting? Do I need to enable something else?

Message 33 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

No. Nothing else needs to be done on the Orbi. Its all in data traffice pass thru mode. Try connecting to the Orbi base unit and not the satellite. Turn that off for now. See if you can get connected. If the wireless is disabled ON the ISP modem and your just using the Orbi base in AP mode, this should work well. 

You might reboot the ISP modem, Orbi base and your PC. 

Ensure your seeing an IP address on your PC from the modem router. 

Message 34 of 48
Augustus_377
Guide

I'll try this. If i get it working you can expect a large influx of Kudos coming your way.

Message 35 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Just checking on this...any progress? 

Message 36 of 48
Augustus_377
Guide

Nope.

Frontier makes you pay to even ask them if bridge mode is possible. And that is not an option for me. Ugh, why does NETGEAR have to be so complicated. We got extenders when we first moved here and they just stopped working. Now this, it's just dissapointing.

Message 37 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

IF the Orbi in in AP mode, configuration of the ISP Modem and router for gaming and such is all thats needed. Would not have to do anything with the Orbi. 

Message 38 of 48
Augustus_377
Guide

That's what I thought but putting the Orbis in AP mode made no difference. I still couldn't host servers or do anything different. When I was on my ISP's Router, hosting servers was fine and everything else. If the Orbis are in AP mode do they still make a NAT?

I have talked to NETGEAR support at least 6 times and all they've said is contact my ISP which is ridiculous. They should be able to help me fix my product. One agent said they'd contact a "Higher Team" and send me an email 12 hours later. And three days later I haven't heard anything since. If I can't get this fixed I'll never buy a product from this company again because this is ridiculous.

Message 39 of 48
randomousity
Luminary

No. If they're in AP mode, they aren't performing NAT. NAT is a router function, connecting two different networks (e.g., 192.168.1.0 on your LAN, and, say, 60.17.163.0 on the WAN, from your ISP). When you're running the Orbi in AP mode, everything connected to the AP is on the same IP network (maybe 172.16.1.0, provided by your ISP modem/router, for instance, for the LAN side), regardless of how anything is connected to the Orbi (wirelessly, LAN port, WAN port).

If you're changing the Orbi to AP mode, maybe try power cycling the modem/route, and the Orbi router (in AP mode) and Orbi satellite(s).

Message 40 of 48
Augustus_377
Guide

Thank you for giving me ome more info. I'll try that soon. Currently my entire family is home and i'll be killed if i try messing with the internet while they're here.

Message 41 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Understandable. My best time to do stuff like this is after everyone has gone to bed. Smiley Wink

randomousity is correct as well. AP Mode disables any NAT and routing functions of the Orbi. Just works as a data traffic passthrough. 

Message 42 of 48
Augustus_377
Guide

Thank you all so much for all the help. I'll try powering off all the extenders and switching to AP mode and what-not soon. I'll report back anything in a day or two when I have the time to mess with the internet.

Message 43 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Take your time when doing it and start with the Orbi router first. Turn off the satellites and don't worry about them until you have the Orbi router setup and tested. Ensure the configuration of the ISP modem is correct for your gaming needs. The Orbi in AP mode will only just pass thru data from the modem to your PC. It won't effect what you have set up on the modem/router while in AP mode. 

Message 44 of 48
Augustus_377
Guide

This is ridiculous.

I've turned my Orbi back to AP mode and turned all the satellites and the Orbi router off and on and it still isnt working.

ugh.

Message 45 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you sure you have the ISP modem/router configured correctly? 

What happens if you conenct your PC directly to the ISP Modem with out connecting to the Orbi? 

Message 46 of 48
Augustus_377
Guide

No wait! It did work!

Sorry for the late response, I was busy playing Red Alert with my friends the rest of the night.

Wow, it realy was "Did you try turning it off an on?"

Thanks for all the help, you guys are the best!

Message 47 of 48
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you finally got it working. Enjoy now. Hope the family will enjoy too. Smiley Wink

I would do a save configuration to file on both ISP modem and Orbi. 

Message 48 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7