Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't Update Orbi Satellite Firmware

velociti
Tutor

Can't Update Orbi Satellite Firmware

Having some trouble updating my RBK50's firmware to 2.1.1.16. Both units are on 2.0.0.74, and the online update says that the router software is up to date, and the satellite firmware says "Service Unreachable." I tried to do it manually, but when I click on the satellite and get prompted for a username and password (192.168.1.2:80), it won't accept my admin/pass combo, it just re-prompts me for it. I've tried it in Safari and Chrome (MacOS Sierra 10.12.6), I've reset my system, and changed the password multiple times, but to no avail. I'm really confused how I'm able to login online and yet it won't accept the same user name and pass to update the satellite. I am able to manually update the router, but my issue with the satellite remains. Please help!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
velociti
Tutor

Re: Can't Update Orbi Satellite Firmware

This was the solution. Per another thread that I found, resetting and then re-syncing the satellite into my system allowed me to "login" to the satellite and upload the latest firmware. Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
jcmancini
Aspirant

I have the same problem so hope they will post the solution soon.

Message 2 of 8
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you've reset your satellite then it may be using the default admin user and password of "password"

https://kb.netgear.com/31014/How-do-I-change-my-Orbi-admin-login-password

Message 3 of 8
velociti
Tutor

Yep, and that's why I reset it -- it didn't work. If the same login credentials should get me access to my online account, and also let me install new firmware for the satellite, then I shouldn't be having an issue. I'm able to login without any issue, no matter what my password has been, and I've verified that with three different passwords so far. It's just the satellite firmware update login that I can't get past. 

Thanks! 

Message 4 of 8
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You could try re-syncing the satellite to the router even if iti s running old firmware. However I am curious how you are able to verify that the satellite is running older firmware if you are not able to log into the satellite page?

Message 5 of 8
velociti
Tutor

This was the solution. Per another thread that I found, resetting and then re-syncing the satellite into my system allowed me to "login" to the satellite and upload the latest firmware. Thanks!

Message 6 of 8
folsommarc
Aspirant

I had the same problem recently, and after troubleshooting, realized that only 1 of my 2 satellites had updated the firmware on the last auto update.  However, in the admin page, it showed that no new firmware update was available for either my satellites or the router...even though it showed different versions installed.

I had to update the firmware manually on the 1 satellite and my speed returned, which I did successfully; however, it did require me to change my router admin password first, because the satellite wasn't recognizing my current router admin password.

Once I reset the password on the router, I was then able to log into the satellite and do a manual firmware upgrade.

Hope that helps.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 8
jcmancini
Aspirant

Thanx everyone. I got it to work and router and both satellites are updated. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7