Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't Upgrade or Downgrade Firmware

heyjuney
Aspirant

Can't Upgrade or Downgrade Firmware

Hello all,

I have an Orbi RBR50 with one RBS50 satellite and one Orbi Plugin Satellite. Presently all objects are on firmware 2.14.16_1.0.0.11. I've tried the steps outlined in this post to no avail - 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Can-t-Update-Orbi-Satellite-Firmware/m-p/1492633#M22128 

Netgear support had me try a manual downgrade to firmware RBS50-V2.1.1.12 (satellites first of course) and then incrementally upgrading to the latest firmware. It gives me the "uploading" indicator on the lower left of my monitor. "However it ultimately results with the error "The firmware is incorrect..."

Any clues on which direction to go here? What I haven't done yet is a total reset of the system to factory defaults. However I'm hesitant to go that route if it can be avoided if a reset is going to mean having to reconnect all devices again. (Some devices are easy but of course, some are a real pain.) Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can't Upgrade or Downgrade Firmware

You should be able to first manually download v210 and install this first on the RBS units then on the RBR. Use IE11 or Firefox browser to do this with a wired PC connected to the RBR. 

Let us know if you can get v210 loaded...then we can go from there...

@heyjuney wrote:

Hello all,

I have an Orbi RBR50 with one RBS50 satellite and one Orbi Plugin Satellite. Presently all objects are on firmware 2.14.16_1.0.0.11. I've tried the steps outlined in this post to no avail - 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Can-t-Update-Orbi-Satellite-Firmware/m-p/1492633#M22128 

Netgear support had me try a manual downgrade to firmware RBS50-V2.1.1.12 (satellites first of course) and then incrementally upgrading to the latest firmware. It gives me the "uploading" indicator on the lower left of my monitor. "However it ultimately results with the error "The firmware is incorrect..."

Any clues on which direction to go here? What I haven't done yet is a total reset of the system to factory defaults. However I'm hesitant to go that route if it can be avoided if a reset is going to mean having to reconnect all devices again. (Some devices are easy but of course, some are a real pain.) Thanks!

Message 2 of 6
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @heyjuney

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 6
heyjuney
Aspirant

I'm sorry. Life has been very busy but I did get a chance to look into this, earlier today.

With regard to trying this with a "... wired PC connected to the RBR", does this speak to "wired" meaning an rj45 connected to the RBR and the PC or USB? I did try with an rj45 cable connected to my laptop to the RBR and no luck. FYI, typically I'm accessing the settings in the admin via a rj45 wired pc hitting the IP address of the RBR. I went as far back as the "RBS50-V2.0.0.74.img" firmware for updating the satellites to no avail. Thx.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Wired mean RJ45 LAN cable connection. 

@Blanca_O 

@heyjuney wrote:

I'm sorry. Life has been very busy but I did get a chance to look into this, earlier today.

With regard to trying this with a "... wired PC connected to the RBR", does this speak to "wired" meaning an rj45 connected to the RBR and the PC or USB? I did try with an rj45 cable connected to my laptop to the RBR and no luck. FYI, typically I'm accessing the settings in the admin via a rj45 wired pc hitting the IP address of the RBR. I went as far back as the "RBS50-V2.0.0.74.img" firmware for updating the satellites to no avail. Thx.

Message 5 of 6
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Thank you, @FURRYe38

Hi @heyjuney, I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

~Blanca

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7