Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't VPN using Windows client - WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been ena

yanivf
Guide

Can't VPN using Windows client - WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled

I'm trying to connect to the VPN server using OpenVPN but I get the error "WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled. See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.". I have done all the steps mentioned in the netgear KB and also looked on the web and couldn't really find any directions to get it working.

I tried the following suggestions I found on the web without luck:

1) get the latest firmware (I'm running 2.3.5.30)

2) add the port to the blocked services without success and set it to accept all IPs.

3) Add "remote-cert-tls server" to the end of the config file

Note: The OpenVPN works fine on my mobile devices.

Any help would be greatly appericated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
petieg1
Aspirant

Re: Can't VPN using Windows client - WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been ena

Add remote-cert-tls server to config file. 

Remove error in the client at least. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I, also, have problems with the Windows VPN.  The first time, I neglected to print off the "instructions" that pop up when the link is displayed (not the BIG link that says "Windows", but the tiny link under that).  So, I had not created the NETGEAR-VPN network link that is required.  I also created problems by renaming some files but not renaming the link to the files that is inside the opn setup file.

Message 3 of 5
yanivf
Guide

Thank you @petieg1 ,

I have done this step at #3 as you can see from my original response. It does pass the original error however fails in the next one. I'm thinking I might have some firewall i need to punch through. Will continue doing some more investigations.

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

ho, yes.  Windows Firewall will definitely block the VPN.  Have to "add another program" to the Firewall rules.

I did this with OpenVPN and also with Tunxten.  (trying different VPN clients)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7