Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't add a RBK53 satellite to my existing RBK50 setup

meetom
Aspirant

Can't add a RBK53 satellite to my existing RBK50 setup

My existing setup is a RBK50 router and satellite combo.  My neighbor purchase a RBK53 bundle from Costo with is a router and 2 satellites.  She sold me one of her satellites.  However, I can't seem to add that satellite to my current setup.  I have using the Orbi App on my iphone.  It seems to sync to her router because the ring light turned amber but the Orbi App shows the sync is unsuccessful.  She litterally is my neighbor.  How can I get this satellite to sync to my current setup?  Both my route and satellite are running the latest firmware V2.1.4.16.

I have reset the RBS a few times but have been unsuccessful in adding the new satellite.

The closest problem I have found was this but didn't say how it was resolved.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Adding-second-satellite-from-dual-pack/td-p/1206207

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can't add a RBK53 satellite to my existing RBK50 setup

I you can get it paired with hers and then try to update thru her system.

The only other way you can get it updated would to be downgrade your RBR to the same version thats on the RBS, pair it, upgrade the FW on the RBS, then re-upgrade your RBR. I believe that would work.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, you need to get the satellite updated to the most current version of FW, then it should sync up:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-Satellite

Message 2 of 5
meetom
Aspirant

It looks like I'm in a catch 22 here.  The steps to manually update the firmware assumes the new satellite is paired with my exising setup.  Going to the URL http://orbilogin.com only shows my current setup.  The problem is I can't add the new satellite to my existing setup to update the firmware.  

I guess I can bring the satellite back to my neighbor and get the firmware updated with her setup.  However, I can stil unpair it from her setup afterwards and add it to mine.  Is that possible?

Message 3 of 5
meetom
Aspirant

Here's the screenshot of what I have. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I you can get it paired with hers and then try to update thru her system.

The only other way you can get it updated would to be downgrade your RBR to the same version thats on the RBS, pair it, upgrade the FW on the RBS, then re-upgrade your RBR. I believe that would work.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7