Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't change icons of attached devices

Rikerrock
Tutor

Can't change icons of attached devices

Have most updated firmware.

I click on attached devices and then click on say a HP printer and I change the icon to printer.  Says updating, but right back to standard icon.

Any suggestions?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 96
CrimpOn
Guru

Is this on the web interface "Attached Devices" page, or on the Orbi "app"?  On the web interface, when I click on "Apply", the icon changes.

(on my RBR50).

Message 2 of 96
Rikerrock
Tutor

web interface.  Tried many times

Message 3 of 96
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for confirming.  How about this: on the Attached Devices page, when you click on a device and it brings up the page with boxes for:

Device Model

Device Name

Device Type

If you change one of these, say "Device Model" and click on "Apply", does it change?  (Hint: I just add one letter to the end, like an "X".  Makes it easy to change it back.)

If you change "Device Name",and click on "Apply", does that change take?

So, finally, changing "Device Type" to one of the other choices, and clicking on "Apply", that is the only thing that doesn't work?

Mostly, we get complaints that Netgear does not offer enough options for Device Type (I have made a formal request on the "Ideas" page).

This is a "new one".

Message 4 of 96
Rikerrock
Tutor

It will change to what I type, just not the icon selection.

Message 5 of 96
CrimpOn
Guru

So, if you change the Device Type from "Printer" to "Camera" and click "Apply":

(1) The Attached Devices page will still show a Printer Icon, and
(2) If you once again click on the device and go to the page, the box for Device Type will show "Camera" (not the original "Printer")???

Message 6 of 96
Rikerrock
Tutor

It will accept when I type say hp printer;  But when I try to switch Icon from "network" to "printer"  it goes right back to network after hit apply.  Hp printer is saved however.

Message 7 of 96
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, we next a real expert now.  On my RBR50, I can change the Device Type to anything, and the picture (icon) changes along with it.  I have just said a camera was a printer, an Apple TV, and several other things.  Each time, after clicking "Apply", the Attached Devices page shows the picture for that category.  (I have since changed it back to a camera.)

Message 8 of 96
ekhalil
Master

@Rikerrock wrote:

It will accept when I type say hp printer;  But when I try to switch Icon from "network" to "printer"  it goes right back to network after hit apply.  Hp printer is saved however.

• Is the printer you’re trying to change icon for attached to the Router or one of the Satellites? Do you see the same issue for devices attached to the Router as well as for those attached to a Satellite? Do you have wireless or wired backhaul?
  • Have you tried changing the device type from the Orbi app instead?

Message 9 of 96
Rikerrock
Tutor

The orbi app lets me change it to a printer icon. But when I go out and back into the attached devices on the app, it's back to just network ico.

Message 10 of 96
CrimpOn
Guru

So, both the web interface and the Orbi "app" have the same flaw (for you): changing the "Device Type" does not "take".

p.s. I experimented with a device that is definitely connected to the satellite (rather than the router).  For me, changing the "Device Type" and clicking "Apply" works every time. Changed a camera to a printer, and back again.  No problem.

This is truly strange.

Message 11 of 96
ekhalil
Master

@Rikerrock wrote:

The orbi app lets me change it to a printer icon. But when I go out and back into the attached devices on the app, it's back to just network ico.

Have you checked if the printer is attached to the Satellite or the Router? If you have issues with the link to the Satellite and the device is attached to the Satellite then this might happen.

As a test, please switch off the Satellite and see if you can change the device type!

Message 12 of 96
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

I am having a similar problem that I reported to Support. I have 40+ devices properly modeled/named/typed manually by me, except that one network switch I added (the 7th of such switches the first 6 of which had no problem) can be renamed, but not modeled/typed. It stays at "---" and "Network". I have been in touch with support as they are trying to isolate it, and they have my RBR50V2's backup CFG. Issue didn't get raised up to the Engineering, yet. I have attached a link to this thread in my support thread, in case they are interested in getting more data from someone else.

As a side: in my case, all satellites are wired backhaul, and this switch along with all other switches are topologically wired back into the router and not into any satellites. So... Yeah... There is that. Very strange.

I am predicting this is a bug in the firmware where some local buffer in the code is getting just the right amount/kind of data or overflow that causes an error in setting the property for that device entry, and it silently fails.

Tuna

Message 13 of 96
ekhalil
Master

As a further troubleshooting of this issue I suggest doing the following telnet printout which will give us some information about why Orbi is behaving the way it does:

1. Check the MAC address of the device you have issue with, let's say it's xx.xx.xx.xx.xx
  2. Enable telnet on the Router (from the /debug.htm page of the web interface)
  3. telnet to router from your computer
  4. After loggin in, run the following print comands on the command line:
    1. nvram show | grep xx.xx.xx.xx.xx
  5. Repeater the same procedure and do the same printout in the Satellite.
Message 14 of 96
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

I'll go first... One day last week I added 3 switches to my network, and tried to rename/remodel/retype all three, just like I had done with 4 other switches, exact same models, successfully. But this time, two of them were a success, the remaining one only took the name. To this day, I cannot set the model/type on that one. Plus, since then I added more devices to my network, things like PC/XBox/BluRay etc., and I could rename/remodel/retype them all. Netgear Support is insisting on "Save config, reset, reboot, restore, try again" and I am NOT doing that because I don't trust the firmware that seems to have such silly bugs destroy my TONS of settings & customizations that built up over the last two months.

So, I did nvram show on all three recent equivalent devices. "Gameroom1" and "Gameroom2" seem to have everything. Noticeably, "North Bedroom" is missing both of the orbi_dev_name_ntgrXX and orbi_dev_type_ntgrXX entries, and has an extra orbi_hid_mac that the other two don't; what is that?

*** nvram show | grep 08:36:C9:16:04:C4

access_control51=0 08:36:C9:16:04:C4 0 56335 Unknown 1 0
orbi_dev_name_ntgr49=08:36:C9:16:04:C4 34 Netgear
orbi_dev_type_ntgr49=08:36:C9:16:04:C4 1 1
orbi_dev_name57=08:36:C9:16:04:C4 Gameroom2 8x Switch GS108Tv3
reservation10=192.168.1.12 08:36:C9:16:04:C4 Gameroom2 8x Switch GS108Tv3

*** nvram show | grep 08:36:C9:15:FF:9C

access_control52=0 08:36:C9:15:FF:9C 0 56340 Unknown 1 0
orbi_dev_name_ntgr50=08:36:C9:15:FF:9C 34 Netgear
orbi_dev_type_ntgr50=08:36:C9:15:FF:9C 1 1
orbi_dev_name56=08:36:C9:15:FF:9C Gameroom1 8x Switch GS108Tv3
reservation9=192.168.1.11 08:36:C9:15:FF:9C Gameroom1 8x Switch GS108Tv3

*** nvram show | grep 08:36:C9:16:03:10

orbi_hid_mac=08:36:C9:16:03:10
access_control56=0 08:36:C9:16:03:10 0 56333 Unknown 1 0
orbi_dev_name58=08:36:C9:16:03:10 North Bedroom 8x Switch GS108Tv3
reservation11=192.168.1.13 08:36:C9:16:03:10 North Bedroom 8x Switch GS108Tv3

So, I am now wondering if I could set them through telnet. I am not at all pro with that stuff. But, looking at all the nvram show | grep dev_name and nvram show | grep dev_type, it seems "54" is the next unused slot for model/type. Could I do the following?

nvram set orbi_dev_name_ntgr54=08:36:C9:16:03:10 34 Netgear
nvram set orbi_dev_type_ntgr54=08:36:C9:16:03:10 1 1

nvram commit

Would that hurt/brick my router?

Thanks

Tuna

PS: These switches are directly connected to the router via a wired path. No satellite is involved.

Message 15 of 96
CrimpOn
Guru

Not sure if that will help.  I 'dumped' NVRAM on my RBR50 and RBS50, sorted everything alphabetically, and set up a comparison.  (At least on my system) the router has two tables that are not present on the satellite:

Router                Satellite

reservationxx         Not present on satellite

orbi_dev_namexx       Present, but not identical

orbi_dev_name_ntgrxx  Not present on satellite

The satellite has nothing to do with assigning IP addresses, so it does not need the "reseravation" table, and

the satellite Connected Devices (not "Attached") does not show the icons, so it does not have that table, either.

I was surprised to learn that the orbi_dev_name table on the satellite was missing an entry that is on the router.  My guess is that this device has never connected to the satellite, and thus the satellite has never had occasion to ask for its name.  Actually, that is totally incorrect because the satellite has names for devices which are wired directly to the router.  Thus, I have no explanation.

Message 16 of 96
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

All my stuff is connected to the router. Nothing is wire-connected to a satellite. By hanging my satellites' wired backhaul to switches, I make sure that they are ONLY responsible for extending the wireless SSID network instead of also acting as wired network switches. So, every wired device on my network, including the satellites, and essentially wired back to the router via wired switches. So, missing variables for type+model in my case are only relevant on the router.

Tuna

Message 17 of 96
ekhalil
Master

@tuna_ertemalp wrote:

nvram set orbi_dev_name_ntgr54=08:36:C9:16:03:10 34 Netgear
nvram set orbi_dev_type_ntgr54=08:36:C9:16:03:10 1 1

nvram commit

This is exactly what you need to do.

If you're sure that slot 54 is empty then please go ahead and enter the commands as you stated above, but adding quotations to the commands or follow the following:

You can first print the existing values to make sure they're empty and to set them back to their original back if ou want to roll back the changes.

1. config get orbi_dev_name_ntgr54
  2. config get orbi_dev_type_ntgr54
  3. config set orbi_dev_name_ntgr54="08:36:C9:16:03:10 34 Netgear"
  4. config set orbi_dev_type_ntgr54="08:36:C9:16:03:10 1 1"
  5. config commit

Message 18 of 96
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

YES! YES! OMG! YES! THAT WORKED! YES!

Smiley LOL

I am so glad I stuck my nose into this thread and got this solution. Thank you!

Only if the Netgear Support asked for this info instead of telling me to backup/reset/reboot/restore the router first...

Tuna

Message 19 of 96
tuna_ertemalp
Luminary

I don't know if this sort of approach will fix it for @Rikerrock or @CrimpOn, so I am not marking your response as a Solution. It certainly solved mine, but I will leave the honor of marking it as such to the person who started the thread...

Message 20 of 96
ekhalil
Master

@tuna_ertemalp wrote:

I am so glad I stuck my nose into this thread and got this solution. Thank you!

I'm glad that this helped! 🙂

Message 21 of 96
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

I was surprised to learn that the orbi_dev_name table on the satellite was missing an entry that is on the router.  My guess is that this device has never connected to the satellite, and thus the satellite has never had occasion to ask for its name.  Actually, that is totally incorrect because the satellite has names for devices which are wired directly to the router.  Thus, I have no explanation.

The orbi_dev_name table should be identical between Router and Satellite. It's the Router who always update the Satellite when you click Apply when setting the IP reservations or when changing the device names in the Attached Devices list.

In fact, if you factory reset the Satellite. Then the Router will -while doing "Config Sync" when you add the Satellite to the Router- will copy -among other things- this table to the Satellites completely as it is in the Router.

Message 22 of 96
ekhalil
Master

@ekhalil wrote:

As a further troubleshooting of this issue I suggest doing the following telnet printout which will give us some information about why Orbi is behaving the way it does:

1. Check the MAC address of the device you have issue with, let's say it's xx.xx.xx.xx.xx
  2. Enable telnet on the Router (from the /debug.htm page of the web interface)
  3. telnet to router from your computer
  4. After loggin in, run the following print comands on the command line:
    1. nvram show | grep xx.xx.xx.xx.xx
  5. Repeater the same procedure and do the same printout in the Satellite.

@Rikerrock Please follow this procedure for your printer so we can get this fixed.

Message 23 of 96
Rikerrock
Tutor

I'll try that when I get home

THanks

Message 24 of 96
CrimpOn
Guru

@ekhalil wrote:

@tuna_ertemalp wrote:
  1. config set orbi_dev_type_ntgr54="08:36:C9:16:03:10 1 1"
  2. config commit

I remain "confused".  When I dump NVRAM, I do not see any variables named orbi_div_type_ntgrxx

So, there are variables that respond to "get" and "set", but not to "show"?

Message 25 of 96
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7