Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't change icons of attached devices

coberfranc
Aspirant

Having the same issue after the latest firmware update in the Router Web GUI.  I also do not think the solution is to telnet into the router to fix items.  Please note, I had all my devices name correctly and the firmware update change a bunch back.  I have also updated the names on the Orbi IOS App, but of course those names do not flow back to the Router GUI so each IOS App we have has different names and I am not going to update all the apps separatedly.

Netgear really needs to step up on their QA.  I love the router but the softeware/firmware has always had issues.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 51 of 96
Schmak01
Apprentice

Having the same issue, just updated to 2.5.0.38 and now all my devices are weird.  The table that is being shows on the web portal on the router doesn't match the results from nvram show | grep orbi_dev_name_ntgr[0-999]

At this point I wouldn't mind flushing the list and rebuilding, but I don't want to reset everything on my router, and I'm not sure the Config will restore propperly, as I have a ton of NAT mappings and static IP's. 

Message 52 of 96
NLMT
Aspirant

I have an Orbi RBR50 with 2 satellites. Since the last firmware update, the device names and descriptions were all changed...ALL of them. One of my Rokus became a camera. I tediously changed ALL of them. No easy task. I had to go to each device to get the IP address and MAC numbers. Unfortunately, the device descriptions changed again on refresh or closing and opening the app or screen. This occurred with the Android app and the online address. I have given up. A total waste of time. Thank goodness I have a massive amount of security redundancy, otherwise it might be impossible to monitor! I am also noticing another change. When rebooting the router, the satellites won't connect. The satellites stayed solid blue for over 10 minutes. It's quite a process now to get the satellites synced up after reboot. NETGEAR, please fix V2.5.0.38 update.
Message 53 of 96
Ozone777
Tutor

Having similar issue.

Can't change device name, model, or icon/type.

Any changes revert,instantly, back to their original settings.

When is then next firmware release?

Message 54 of 96
CrimpOn
Guru

There is no published schedule. There have been four months between releases, and less than a month.

Sorry.
Message 55 of 96
EduardH
Guide

Only fix for now is to downgrade to the last stable version 3.0... advise of Netgear support...
Message 56 of 96
coberfranc
Aspirant

I can confirm downgrading to Firmware 2.3.5.30 resovled my issue with the Device Names not changing.  After I downgraded, I was able to change the names as well as the icons.  The only issue is, there are not as many icons in the older version.

Once again, Netgear really needs to work on the software side of the house.  Their QA stinks.  I have no confidence that the next release is going to fix the icon issue and I am now going to miss other critical updates because of their poor updates.

Message 57 of 96
Keith_1952
Tutor

I agree regarding Netgear support.  I feel abandoned as a Netgear customer and owner of an RBR20 router.  The company has probably made the same mistake that has destroyed so many other companies such as Sears and Boeing: placing MBAs and other bean-counters in C-level positions, rather than engineers and others with experience in the core products and services with a focus on quality.  Anytime the company culture becomes terminally infected with the Wall Street near-term disease, The End will not be far off.  

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 58 of 96
Rikerrock
Tutor

So basically they don’t care to fix it or update the system so I’ll prob just return the three router combo orbi system and two additional units to Costco. They’ll take it back and get a different mesh system. Sad it has to come to this. I get that fixes can take some time but no word on when or if they are even doing anything. Terrible setvixe
Message 59 of 96
CrimpOn
Guru

The phrase, "Don't throw the baby out with the bath water" comes to mind. The device naming feature is not essential to operation. I simply enjoy using it and am not going to update until it works. I have no idea whether the competing products have a feature like this or if all of the features they offer work correctly. I know about the product I have, not the products I don't have.
Good luck
Message 60 of 96
FURRYe38
Guru

Users should try v2.5.1.8:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-v2-5-1/m-p/1837488/highlight/true#M78401

Working for me. I didn't have to do a factory reset either. Users should try a factory reset on there systems with v2.5.1.8 loaded if they can't seem to get this working. Clear all browser caches as well. Using Opera for me is working with device naming and icon changing. 

For some users which Orbi's out of warranty, give Voxels 3rd party FW or Orbi a try as well:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-9...

Message 61 of 96
Keith_1952
Tutor

You must be using an RBR50.  This thread was originally around the RBR20, for which the latest firmware version is 2.3.5.36.  Extrapolating from how quickly the support for the RBR20 was abandoned after the RBR50 came out, I'm sure you'll be joining our orphan ranks soon enough.

Message 62 of 96
FURRYe38
Guru

True...hopefully NG will update the 40 and 20 series Orbi's as well. I would make contact with NG support or file a support ticket about this to let NG know about this for the 40 and 20 series. 

@Blanca_O 

Orbi 40 and 20 series are still being updated. Enen though we are seeing FW updates take a while as well on 50 series. 

Message 63 of 96
Keith_1952
Tutor

Good idea.  I just created ticket 42096291 for them to follow up on this.  

Message 64 of 96
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. You might refer them to this thread for there review as well so they can see others with this same issue. 

Message 65 of 96
Rikerrock
Tutor

Sorry, updated to the correct router I had.  It was a three unit deal from costco, about 6 months ago.  Then bought two more access points that matched. 

Message 66 of 96
FURRYe38
Guru

So are you still seeing this with v2.5.1.8 FW loaded on your 50 series Orbi? 

@Rikerrock wrote:

Sorry, updated to the correct router I had.  It was a three unit deal from costco, about 6 months ago.  Then bought two more access points that matched. 

Message 67 of 96
Rikerrock
Tutor

The one that it says is most up to date: 2.5.0.38. directly from the router interface.

Not sure how to get it to a different version?

Message 68 of 96
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

@Rikerrock I have the Costco Orbi 3-piece model RBK53, which is an RBR50 router and two RBS50 satellites.  If you have this same setup, I suggest manually updating the firmware from https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK53#download .  The check for update may not see the v2.5.1.8 firmware released about 10 days ago. Download and extract the ZIP files for the RBR50 and RBS50 for v2.5.1.8 from the URL above and install the RBR50-V2.5.1.8.img file manually on the router first.  The satellites should automatically upgrade themselves to match, but if they don't, then manually install the RBS50-V2.5.1.8.img file on each of them by logging into the satellite and using its manual update feature.

The v2.5.0.38 firmware device naming was completely messed up, but v2.5.1.8 firmware corrects this issue.  This has been mentioned in many other threads on this board (search for "device name" and/or "2.5.0.38").

@Rikerrock wrote:

The one that it says is most up to date: 2.5.0.38. directly from the router interface.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 69 of 96
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Please follow @tomschmidt information on how to get your system updated to v2.5.1.8. 

@Rikerrock wrote:

Message 70 of 96
Keith_1952
Tutor

Folks, I am continuing to pursue a resolution of this problem for the RBR20 router with Netgear support.  It seems the RBR50 problem was resolved with a firmware upgrade, but to date no corresponding upgrade is available for the RBR20.

I'll post here any significant outcomes (or lack thereof) from my interactions with Support.

Message 71 of 96
Keith_1952
Tutor

Of the 25+ devices in my network, I can successfully edit the Device Type on most of them.  Of the 5 devices affected by this bug, 3 are iHome model ISP6X smartplugs.
One is a Z-Wave bridge manufactured by Powerley, model EB 2.0.
One is a Roku streaming player, model 3.  I have three more later model Roku devices that are not affected.

I maintain with Support that the ability to edit the Device Type field should have nothing to do with any particualr device.  My ticket is still open with them.  Will post ongoing results here.

Message 72 of 96
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

@Keith_1952, have you tried a factory reset of the router?  If not, I suggest backing up your settings and performing a factory reset to clear any possibly corrupt entries in the firmware that may be blocking editing some of the device names.  Once factory reset, go through the manual configuration to the point where your network is functional such that you can then restore the settings from the configuration file saved prior to the factory reset.  This process should take about 20 minutes or so to complete.  Then try to edit the devices that you were having issues with.

Good luck, report back here with the results.

@Keith_1952 wrote:

Of the 25+ devices in my network, I can successfully edit the Device Type on most of them.  Of the 5 devices affected by this bug, 3 are iHome model ISP6X smartplugs.
One is a Z-Wave bridge manufactured by Powerley, model EB 2.0.
One is a Roku streaming player, model 3.  I have three more later model Roku devices that are not affected.

I maintain with Support that the ability to edit the Device Type field should have nothing to do with any particualr device.  My ticket is still open with them.  Will post ongoing results here.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 73 of 96
Keith_1952
Tutor

Latest response from Support, regarding the Device Type issue on the RBR20 router:

Hi Keith, Thank you for the information you have provided. I have it all documented and already sent the report to the appropriate department. To let you know ahead, we don't have an ETA of the new firmware but the firmware fix that was added on the model RBR50 which is the device recognition mechanism will also be rolled out soon to all affected models. Regards, Melvin Expert ID: 46221 NETGEAR Senior Support Expert

Message 74 of 96
EduardH
Guide

Guys, a manual update to firmware 2.5.1.8 fixed it all. All icons can be changed and where even updated to the correct picture automatically
Message 75 of 96
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7