Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't change icons of attached devices

FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@EduardH wrote:
Guys, a manual update to firmware 2.5.1.8 fixed it all. All icons can be changed and where even updated to the correct picture automatically

Message 76 of 96
Keith_1952
Tutor

The Netgear Support team finally gave me a beta version of the V2.5.1.8 firmware for my RBR20 router and RBS20 satellites.  I can confirm that it in fact resolved my issues.

While this version has been officially released for the RBR50 product line, it is not yet released for the RBR20.  I am told it will eventually show up as released however.  

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 77 of 96
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Thanks for letting us know. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Keith_1952 wrote:

The Netgear Support team finally gave me a beta version of the V2.5.1.8 firmware for my RBR20 router and RBS20 satellites.  I can confirm that it in fact resolved my issues.

While this version has been officially released for the RBR50 product line, it is not yet released for the RBR20.  I am told it will eventually show up as released however.  

Message 78 of 96
proeder
Tutor

Any news on when the FW will be released to the public ?

Can you send me the 2.5.1.8 beta for my RBR20 & RBS20 ?

Message 79 of 96
Keith_1952
Tutor

Looks like Netgear has abandoned us on the FW upgrade.  That said, Here are links to the Beta they send me which I installed, and is working:

Router:

https://kgreer.net/RBR20-V2.5.1.8.zip

Satellites:

https://kgreer.net/RBS20-V2.5.1.8.zip

Message 80 of 96
proeder
Tutor

Great. Thx.

Unfortunately both links down the RBR. The RBS is not behind the second link.

Message 81 of 96
proeder
Tutor

update: Sorry, now it's working. link in email was broken, link in forum worked out well.

Message 82 of 96
proeder
Tutor

Is there a chance you also got the FW for RBW30 ? I got that one "plug"-satellite as an addition in my mesh.

Best

Message 83 of 96
Keith_1952
Tutor

I edited the links in the post, and tested them.  They work now.  Try again.

@proeder wrote:

Great. Thx.

Unfortunately both links down the RBR. The RBS is not behind the second link.

Message 84 of 96
Keith_1952
Tutor

Nope.  Don't have anything for the RBW30, sorry.

@proeder wrote:

Is there a chance you also got the FW for RBW30 ? I got that one "plug"-satellite as an addition in my mesh.

Best

Message 85 of 96
Keith_1952
Tutor

The link targets to the beta firmware have been removed per Netgear's request.  You'll have to wait for the production release.

Message 86 of 96
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @proeder

If you wish to get a copy of the beta firmware, kindly send me a private message with the following information by clicking on this link

Name

Email address

Device Serial number

Thank you! 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 87 of 96
richbusby
Guide

Router Firmware Version V2.3.5.32

I found this thread through an internet search because like a lot of you I too could not change the icon on some of the devices on my list of attached devices. Through trial and error I found I could change *some* of the icons, the ones at the top of the list. Having a bit of a web app/database background I suspected some kind of issue with the database, so I worked my way down until I found a particularly long device name. Everything after that entry exhibited the error condition (icon changes would not be saved).

So I shortened the device name and saved it, then tested the items that previously could not be changed. Voila! Fixed.

What I suspect here is some sort of back end change to the data storage structure that was not reflected in the web interface, resulting in unchecked input validation causing a database issue (most likely exceeding the allowable characters in a field).

TL/DR: Look for long names in your list of devices. If you can change the icons before that one but not after it in the list, shorten the name.

Message 88 of 96
CrimpOn
Guru

Do you mind sharing how long the suspect device name was?
Message 89 of 96
richbusby
Guide

I believe this was it (fortunately I'd saved a spreadsheet with all the info prior to wiping out the name):

LSD Science and Technology Co.

So looks like 29 characters. Could also be a function of the whitespace and period, or some other character that I'm too bothered to figure out. Once I shortened that to "LSD Science" I was able to modify and save icons farther down the list.

Message 90 of 96
CrimpOn
Guru

Thank you.  Another "activity".    My longest device name is 20 characters.

Message 91 of 96
richbusby
Guide

Ah, good luck then. Knowing they have issues with unchecked input, you might check your names for extended characters especially ones that have system usage in linux (like \ and @, etc.).

Message 92 of 96
proeder
Tutor

FW Update solved the icon problems. Just flip to 2.5.1.16 with RBR20 & RBS20

Message 93 of 96
richbusby
Guide

This did not work on my RBR40 with the latest firmware. The icon issue persisted until I shortened the offending device name.

Message 94 of 96
CrimpOn
Guru

@richbusby wrote:

So looks like 29 characters. Could also be a function of the whitespace and period, or some other character that I'm too bothered to figure out. Once I shortened that to "LSD Science" I was able to modify and save icons farther down the list.

It may be an issue with "characters", but it is not an issue with length.  I changed the device name of the 3rd device in my list to the full 32 character device name limit and found that I can still change the device icon on devices farther down the list.  (The input field actually "cuts off" after 32 characters are entered and does not accept any more.)  It is a little annoying that after clicking "Apply", the pop up window disappears and it is necessary to click on "Refresh" to see that the change took place.  Or, perhaps wait until the screen automatically refreshes?

Almost all of my device names have one or more spaces in the name.

This is an Orbi RBR50 with firmware 2.5.1.8.   So, I'm stumped.

Message 95 of 96
richbusby
Guide

This is an Orbi RBR50 with firmware 2.5.1.8.   So, I'm stumped.

Do remember I'm running a different model and firmware so this is not an Apples to Apples comparison. The key thing to keep in mind here is that we have an observed issue with the GUI versus the database and a likely unchecked input validation condition i.e. the GUI accepts illegal or otherwise problematic characters that has problems once it hits the table/matrix/database/whatever they are storing the data in.

Have you tried going down to very basic device names with absolutely no extended characters? Cutting and pasting can pick up a lot of garbage so I'd type them in directly by hand.

My hardware:

Hardware Version   RBR40
Firmware Version   V2.3.5.32
GUI Language Version   V1.0.0.360
Message 96 of 96
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7