Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect PS4 to Orbi RBR50

bard61
Aspirant

Can't connect PS4 to Orbi RBR50

Just set up Orbi RBR50, working brillliantly for everything except my son's PS4. Tried wireless and LAN cable (via satellite Orbi), with no luck. Reset the firmware on PS4, still no luck. PS4 is working fine via phone hotspot (but chewing up data!). I see there have been a number of posts about this, some of which suggest a roll back for the Orbi firmware to v2.1, but they're a little old, so I'm hoping there's a better solution. My Orbi is using FW V2.5.1.8, which I think is the current version. Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Re: Can't connect PS4 to Orbi RBR50

One of the reasons that can cause such issue is having double NAT in your network. If your ISP modem is acting as a router and does NATing on the incoming WAN traffic then this can cause different issues since Orbi is also doing NATing. You need to check if you have double NAT.
Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:
> tracert 8.8.8.8  (or traceroute 8.8.8.8 if you're using a Mac computer)
1. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. Please check the model of your ISP modem and if you have a manual for it.
2. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good and we need then to troubleshoot further to find the root cause of the issue,
Message 2 of 6
bard61
Aspirant

Thanks, I'm attaching a screenshot from Terminal (Mac). Apologies, but I can't tell if that second line is a second IP address. Also, after logging this question I read elsewhere that I should change the Orbi to Access Point mode (presumably to avoid the issue you've flagged) via the web interface. I've done this, but now I'm unsure as to whether I'm connecting to the Orbi, or my original modem/router, as they have the same network name (I realise now that wasn't a good idea). The phone app tells me it can't connect. I may have to do a complete re-set. Best, Brad.

Message 3 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

how long have you had this...V2.5.1.8,?????

Message 4 of 6
bard61
Aspirant

Just picked up today... what's the current FW? BTW, switching to Access Point mode seems to have done the trick... had to reboot but now things appear to be runnning as they should. Thanks for the interest and suggestions, I'll keep monitoring this...

Message 5 of 6
ekhalil
Master

If switching Orbi to AP mode helped then that for sure means that you had a double NAT and that was the root cause of the issue.
For better performance please switch of the Wifi radio on the ISP Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7