Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect to VPN using openVPN

mjto
Aspirant

Can't connect to VPN using openVPN

Hi There,

Recently I have set up VPN in my ORBi system. Unfortunatelly I can't connect to VPN as openVPN is still yellow and nothing is going on.

DDNS is set up with no-ip and vpn service is enabled in orbilogin.com.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 10
ekhalil
Master

1. Have you downloaded the OpenVPN configuration files for your device AFTER setting up or changing the DDNS? Also if you deactivate VPN and activate it again you need to download new files.
  2. Please note that you can't test VPN whicle connected to your own wifi or to any network that happens to have the same IP range as your Orbi. So if your Orbi has 192.168.1.1/24 (Orbi default) then you will not be able to connect to  use OpenVPN to connect to your Orbi from any network that has the same IP range!
Message 2 of 10
mjto
Aspirant

HI,

Yes, I download new configuration files each time I try to change something (I revert everything to basic settings now).

I tired also to connect from 2 different networks. My work network and mobile hotspot.

Still no results

Message 3 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@mjto wrote:

HI,

Yes, I download new configuration files each time I try to change something (I revert everything to basic settings now).

I tired also to connect from 2 different networks. My work network and mobile hotspot.

Still no results

1. Please make sure DDNS is working. Make sure you get positive result (.... updated successfully) when you click on Status here, otherwise please deactivate DDNS, Apply then activate again and Apply and check the status again:

Namnlöst.png

2. If it still fails then please check in the Logs and se if the request arrives at all to Orbi, do you see something like:

[OpenVPN, connection fail] from remote IP address: 192.168.1.23, Sunday, January 13, 2019 14:56:08

Message 4 of 10
mjto
Aspirant

HI, 

Yes, DDNS status is like you mentioned: (.... updated successfully).

Absolutely nothing related to vpn in log files.

Thanks

Message 5 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@mjto wrote:

.....Absolutely nothing related to vpn in log files.

Then if the request does not rach to Orbi, it's likely something wrong with the device configuration. What device are you using? What message do you see in the device when trying to connect?

Message 6 of 10
mjto
Aspirant

It's Windows 10 lenovo thinkpad x1.

I see only:

Sun Jan 13 16:45:35 2019 WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled.  See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.

OpenVPN lock is still yellow. I believe it's mean it is trying to connect

Message 7 of 10
mjto
Aspirant

and I tried to connect from other device as well. the same result

Message 8 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@mjto wrote:

and I tried to connect from other device as well. the same result

VPN never worked for me from a computer (Windows nor Mac) because of the certificate issues, I think there is still an issue with the Orbi certificates.

On the other hand, VPN works flawlessly from iPhone and iPad.

Message 9 of 10
jhg777
Aspirant

If one gets the message "[OpenVPN, connection fail] from remote IP address..." in the router log, does that mean that the connection reached the router? It seems as though something is wrong. What does it mean, and how do you resolve it?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7