Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can’t connect to modem

Joshaleth
Aspirant

Can’t connect to modem

Just had my modem serviced and now I can’t connect the Orbi router to the server.

Have tried reset and set up.

Help!
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can’t connect to modem

Please explain what the modem is (brand and model number) and what the "service" was (replaced?).

Does the modem have more than one ethernet jack on it?

Is the yellow port on the router connected to the modem?

Sometimes, it matter what sequence is used to power up.  i.e. Unplug both modem and router.  Plug in the modem and wait for it to complete startup.  Then, plug in the router.

Message 2 of 16
Joshaleth
Aspirant

Xfinity dual band wifi 802.11ac
Mode number: dpc3941T

They had to fix a cable but it’s still the same
Modem. They put it into bridge mode (I thought it already was but now I don’t know if it actually was previously)

The modem has 4 Ethernet ports and it’s plugged into the first one
Message 3 of 16
Joshaleth
Aspirant

I have unplugged/ plugged both modem and router In Various orders and I have also reset both
Message 4 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

"Back to basics".  Do you have a PC or Mac that can be "literally" plugged into the modem (with the ethernet cable that is currently being used by the Orbi)?  If so, disconnect the Orbi, plug in the computer, restart the modem, then start up the computer.

If the computer goes on-line and works, the modem is good.  Please discover the IP address that the modem gives your computer.

on PC, open a command window and type "ipconfig /all" (no quotes).  The IP address of your computer should NOT begin with 192.168 or with 10.0

Message 5 of 16
Joshaleth
Aspirant

The computer won’t go online when connected via Ethernet, but isnt that to be expected since the modem is in bridge mode?
Message 6 of 16
Joshaleth
Aspirant

Wait, I got that to work. For an IPv4 address it says: 10.229.78.135 (preferred)
Message 7 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@Joshaleth wrote:
Wait, I got that to work. For an IPv4 address it says: 10.229.78.135 (preferred)

10.229.178.135 is a "private" IP space.https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

If the modem is actually in "bridge mode", the computer should get a "public" IP address, unless there is something "different" about Xfinity.

Aside from that, with the computer connected to the modem, does the computer "work" as far as accessing the internet goes?

Message 8 of 16
Joshaleth
Aspirant

Yes, the computer accesses the internet

Thanks so much btw. Much appreciated!
Message 9 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Ok, the computer gets a private IP address when directly connected to the Xfinity, that means the Xfinity is not in bridge mode.  Alas, sometimes technicians mean well, but are not competent in every detail.  Does it appear that the Xfinity is broadcasting a WiFi signal?  If so, that is further proof that it is acting as a router. 

If the Xfinity is a router, you can disconnect the Orbi from the Xfinity, connect to the Orbi with the wired computer, and place the Orbi in Access Point (AP), then reconnect it to the Xfinity.

Message 10 of 16
Joshaleth
Aspirant

When I go on to the xfinity app it does say it’s on bridge mode plus the modem no longer lights up the 2.4 and 5 ghz lights
Message 11 of 16
Joshaleth
Aspirant

On the other hand, I am seeing the xfinity wifi and can use it to access the internet...
Message 12 of 16
Joshaleth
Aspirant

How do you place the Orbi in access point? Using the orbI app?
Message 13 of 16
Joshaleth
Aspirant

Okay, it IS in bridge mode. Somehow you can still see an unprotected xfinity wireless, but not the secured one.

So if it is in bridge mode, what do I do to get the orbI working?
Message 14 of 16
Joshaleth
Aspirant

Okay, I heard from xfinity and they said that their bridge mode always has a private ivp. So, I turned off bridge mode and trued to set up the orbI but it still says no internet connection. About ready to return the orbI.
Message 15 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@Joshaleth wrote:
How do you place the Orbi in access point? Using the orbI app?

I am unaware of a way to change Orbi "mode" using the app.  Connect the computer to one of the ethernet ports on the back of the Orbi. Then open a web browser and use it to connect to the Orbi web interface.  On the Advanced Tab->Advanced Setup->Router/AP Mode.

Alas, having zero experience with Xfinity has left me inadequate to offer a solution.  Bridge mode giving a private address is a foreign concept to me, as is "we turned off the WiFi, but oh yes, we left the WiFi on."  To me, on and off are sort of mutually exclusive.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7