Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect to my work VPN

ztekdesign
Aspirant

Can't connect to my work VPN

Since installing the Orbi sytem I can no longer connect to my works VPN using Remote Destop. Is there something needs to be setup in Orbi for this? It works just fine using my old router or using my phone as a hot spot. Something in Orbi is blocking the connection.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Message 2 of 12
ztekdesign
Aspirant

Orbi is operating in Router Mode and its running the latest version of firmware. The ISP is a wireless comany and they simply have a radio on the roof of my home that connects to their tower. Not sure of the hardware make or model. It works fine if I plug  one of my old routers in place of the Orbi. I doubt it's my ISP or their hardware.

I contacted Netgear support and they told me I need to add a VPN  service to Orbi. Isn't that only so I can connect to my home network when I am outside my home?  I want to be at hom and connect to my work computer using remote desktop. Something that is very common these days. Not sure why they would tell me that.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try this, reconnect you old router back online. Reconfigure the Orbi for AP mode and connect it to the old router. Be sure to disable ALL wireless radios on the old router. 

Does your VPN work in this configuration? 

Do you have any parental controls or any security apps enabled on the Orbi currently? 

Message 4 of 12
ztekdesign
Aspirant

I will give it a try tonight. To be honest if I have to use my old router then the Orbi system is going back. I love the sytem so far other than this issue and to be honest this is a big issue if I can't work from home.

I do not have any parental controls setup.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you know if the ISP and there modem use any kind of static IP or PPPoE configurations? or just Dymamic DHCP IP addressing thats just connect any router and get an IP address? 

Message 6 of 12
ztekdesign
Aspirant

They just use Dymamic DHCP

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok...just checking. 

Message 8 of 12
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@ztekdesign wrote:

Since installing the Orbi sytem I can no longer connect to my works VPN using Remote Destop. Is there something needs to be setup in Orbi for this? It works just fine using my old router or using my phone as a hot spot. Something in Orbi is blocking the connection.

Client side VPN should work fine without any intervention on the Orbi.  I have one client here using NORDVPN without any issues, and over time I expect more of the clients to be using VPN connections.

Message 9 of 12
ztekdesign
Aspirant

I agree it should work. I just got done speaking with Netgear support and they are now telling me that I need to engable and install OpenVPN in order to get the Remote Desktop to work. I've owned and setup hundreds of routers over the years and have never had to do this just to use Remote Desktop. Either they are telling me wrong or this device is going to be a huge problem for the average user. Something doesn't add up.

Message 10 of 12
gr8sho
Virtuoso

They must be misunderstanding you. If it’s a foreign call center, they might just be reading off a flowchart.
Message 11 of 12
ztekdesign
Aspirant

After many calls to Netgear support and many hours of trying differtly things I never could get Remote Desktop to work so I boxed it up and sent it back. Just purchased a Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD unit and it works great. Signial is strong throught the house and my Remote Desktop works like it should without any issues or extra setup.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7