Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't connect to new Orbi at 192.168.1.1 on my PC

AzJazz
Apprentice

Can't connect to new Orbi at 192.168.1.1 on my PC

Hi - I am having huge issues connecting to my new Orbi Configuration at http://192.168.1.1 on my main PC. I am running Win7x64 SP1. My main PC is connected to one of the Orbi Router's Ethernet ports.

It's an odd situation that I haven't run across before.

I'm connected to the Internet just fine on my main PC, but whenever I try to connect to the Orbi from my main PC on Chrome, I see a "This site can't be reached. The connection was reset." error.

I can connect and configure the Orbi through my laptop PC at 192.168.1.1, which is also wired to the Orbi router through a slightly longer path.

I can connect and configurt the Orbi through my Android tablet at 192.168.1.1 via WiFi.

I was able to get to my Netgear R6300v2 router via 192.168.1.1 on my main PC before I installed the Orbi.

I can get to the Orbi configuration page on my main PC if I change the base IP address of the Orbi to something else, like: 192.168.1.10

I have tried other browsers (Internet Explorer 11 and Firefox). No luck there.

This is obviously PC-specific, but I am at a loss.

Any ideas? This is driving me nutz.

AzJazz

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
AzJazz
Apprentice

SOLUTION FOUND: I have Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2017 installed. This was the root of the problem.

I had previously tried disabling KAV2017 and exiting KAV2017 as part of my debugging effort. However, access to 192.168.1.1 was still blocked even when I had terminated KAV2017. So for a while, I thought KAV wasn't the problem. The clue I found just a few minutes ago was that I noticed that the "Can't access this page" browser error message changed slightly depending on whether KAV2017 was disabled (paused) or whether it was terminated. When KAV2017 was terminated, there was additional information available in the browser error message that pointed to KAV as the culprit.

When I temporarily uninstalled KAV2017, I was able to get to 192.168.1.1 again. Whew!

I find it interesting that KAV2017's "protection" (if you want to call it that) was so thorough and at such a low level, that it prevented access to 192.168.1.1 even inside Virtual Machines that didn't have any Anti-Virus software installed at all. It's actually pretty impressive how comprehensive Kaspersky's protection is, except that it was undesired operation for me (and probably a lot of other folks).

When I added http://192.168.1.1 and https://192.168.1.1 to the KAV2017 Web Anti-Virus URL Advisor Exclusion List, I can get to 192.168.1.1 fine now on my main PC.

Cheers!

AzJazz

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 14

All Replies
AniDutta
Apprentice

I'm running into same issue. No solution yet. Search for the suggestions on the post I made. Good luck. Please share if you find a solution.
Message 2 of 14
qskillzwfu25
Tutor

Have you tried accessing the configuration page by going to  http://orbilogin.net 

Message 3 of 14
AzJazz
Apprentice

Hi, @qskillzwfu25 - Yes, I tried going to http://orbilogin.net, but that aliases to http://192.168.1.1, so I end up with the exact same error.

Message 4 of 14
murchman
Apprentice

Can you ping the 192.168.1.1?

Message 5 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You can also try www.routerlogin.net but if that is not working open your network and sharing center and check the top it should show your pc the router then connected to the internet make sure the router shows up as a little house so its set to home network if it does click on it then you can right click the router and view device webpage.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 14
AzJazz
Apprentice

@murchman - Yes, I can ping 192.168.1.1 without any problems, with a fast response time of < 1 msec. 

@DarrenM - Unfortunately, I can't get the network map to appear. The network map did work with my previous R6300v2.

Now ... Just to add more confusion to the mix ... I also have a Win10 and an Ubuntu Virtual Machine installed on my PC. I could ping 192.168.1.1 inside both VMs, so I decided I would try to use the browsers within those VMs to try to get to 192.168.1.1. Couldn't get any cleaner than that - I never tried to get to my previous routers in a VM before, so there wouldn't be any browser-related issues involved.

Again, I see the "Connection was reset" error in both VMs. Man Sad

Something is very wrong at a very low level here. Is there anything useful I can provide with a Wireshark log?

Message 7 of 14

and seeing no one else is having the same issue it just about removes the orbi from the equation , the only explanation is you have an ip conflict

factory reset everything and start again

what is the orbi connected to on the upstream side ? as it may be causing the ip conflict

Message 8 of 14
MarkC1024
Luminary

Also check to make sure there isn't an entry in your hosts file for that IP.  Just because a ping returns, doesn't mean the orbi is responding.  What does ipconfig show as your gateway?

Message 9 of 14
AzJazz
Apprentice

@peteytesting - @AniDutta mentioned that they are having the exact same issue (also unresolved), so it isn't entirely an isolated case to just my setup. The Orbi Router is connected directly to my cable modem. My main PC is connected to one of the (3) available Orbi Router Ethernet ports. I have a QNAP NAS connected to one of the other Ethernet ports. After that, I have a 8-port Gigabit switch connected to the third Orbi Router Ethernet port to break out more available wired connections. Since the Orbi Router is the only DHCP server on my LAN that I know of, I am not sure at this point where there could be another 192.168.1.1 IP address conflict coming from. I have already tried a couple of factory resets on this Orbi and another Orbi Router, and it didn't help in the past. I can get to the Orbi configuration via another PC, so I don't know if another factory reset will help.

@MarkC1024 - I checked my Windows hosts file, and there aren't any 192.168.1.1 entries. An ipconfig/all shows the LAN gateway at 192.168.1.1.

Message 10 of 14
MarkC1024
Luminary

It would seem that if you can get to the config page from another PC, the router is operating properly.  So must be something about the path of the PC having problems.  Have you tried disconnecteing your NAS and other switches to test?  I'd take an approach of breaking things down to a simple config and then add things back in as testing succeeds.  Just need to isolate what is introducing the problem.

Message 11 of 14
murchman
Apprentice

I would try configuring the Orbi to user another subnet or IP range and see if the problem continues. Switch it to 192.168.2.x or use the 10.x.x.x range.

Message 12 of 14
AzJazz
Apprentice

Hi, @murchman

Soooo ... I tried reconfiguring my Orbi Router to 192.168.2.1 (Something I had also planned as a last-ditch response)

I was able to get to the Orbi Router configuration page again on my main PC since it wasn't at 192.168.1.1 anymore. 

After a bit of work, my home's LAN was eventually reconfigured and most (but not all) of my network stuff was working again.

However ... Netgear thinks I must be absolutely crazy to set my Orbi Router to 192.168.2.1. When I rebooted my Orbi Router I couldn't get to the internet anymore - I couldn't understand why.

I tried opening my browser to 192.168.2.1, and I saw a Netgear message pop-up that told me that my Orbi Router's base IP address was automatically reset back to 192.168.1.1 for my protection (With no option to prevent the reassignment).

Man Frustrated Man Frustrated Man Frustrated Man Frustrated Man Frustrated Man Frustrated Man Frustrated Man Frustrated Man Frustrated Man Frustrated 

Message 13 of 14
AzJazz
Apprentice

SOLUTION FOUND: I have Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2017 installed. This was the root of the problem.

I had previously tried disabling KAV2017 and exiting KAV2017 as part of my debugging effort. However, access to 192.168.1.1 was still blocked even when I had terminated KAV2017. So for a while, I thought KAV wasn't the problem. The clue I found just a few minutes ago was that I noticed that the "Can't access this page" browser error message changed slightly depending on whether KAV2017 was disabled (paused) or whether it was terminated. When KAV2017 was terminated, there was additional information available in the browser error message that pointed to KAV as the culprit.

When I temporarily uninstalled KAV2017, I was able to get to 192.168.1.1 again. Whew!

I find it interesting that KAV2017's "protection" (if you want to call it that) was so thorough and at such a low level, that it prevented access to 192.168.1.1 even inside Virtual Machines that didn't have any Anti-Virus software installed at all. It's actually pretty impressive how comprehensive Kaspersky's protection is, except that it was undesired operation for me (and probably a lot of other folks).

When I added http://192.168.1.1 and https://192.168.1.1 to the KAV2017 Web Anti-Virus URL Advisor Exclusion List, I can get to 192.168.1.1 fine now on my main PC.

Cheers!

AzJazz

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7