Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't find/see Orbi (RBR50) router after reboot

mrsee
Tutor

Can't find/see Orbi (RBR50) router after reboot

Have a RBK50-kit (router + one satellite) that have been working just find for about 6-7 months. Experienced some performance issues, and performed a reboot of the router. The RBR50 is set up as a router against my FTTH-connection.

After the reboot, I'm not able to see the wifi-network anymore. No connection for wired devices either.

Tried to perform a factory reset (pressed reset for 20 sec, then removed power cable as instructed in doc). Still not able to see any networks or perform a new setup. Also tried to press and hold the reset-button for 20 sec+ while powering on the router - no difference, and holding it while powered on until the power light "turns amber" (nevern changed, even after 45 sec or so).

The power light on the router is on. But was there also supposed to be light on the top of the router when it is rebooted? I'm not sure if I might have disabled LED earlier, but would imagine that was just for operation and not during bootups (and after factory reset...).

Suggestions?

Message 1 of 7
mrsee
Tutor

Tried with a different PSU for the router. No difference.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/FTTH the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@mrsee wrote:

Have a RBK50-kit (router + one satellite) that have been working just find for about 6-7 months. Experienced some performance issues, and performed a reboot of the router. The RBR50 is set up as a router against my FTTH-connection.

After the reboot, I'm not able to see the wifi-network anymore. No connection for wired devices either.

Tried to perform a factory reset (pressed reset for 20 sec, then removed power cable as instructed in doc). Still not able to see any networks or perform a new setup. Also tried to press and hold the reset-button for 20 sec+ while powering on the router - no difference, and holding it while powered on until the power light "turns amber" (nevern changed, even after 45 sec or so).

The power light on the router is on. But was there also supposed to be light on the top of the router when it is rebooted? I'm not sure if I might have disabled LED earlier, but would imagine that was just for operation and not during bootups (and after factory reset...).

Suggestions?

Message 3 of 7
mrsee
Tutor

FTTH-gateway is called FMG-3542 operating in bridgemode. Not any issues with this. Connected my old Asus RT-AC3200, as a replacement for the now non-working Orbi, and it works with it. As mentioned, the Orbi have been in use for 6-7 months without any issues before I rebooted it, and after the reboot it does not seem to start (power led is green, no light in the "top led").

Orbi was running in routermode. Have one satellite - this with cabled back-haul. Devices connected with cable to the Orbi-router does not get IP etc.

I can't see that your other questiuons have relevance - the Orbi will not boot up. It is not a connection issue or a coverage issue. I'm not able to change any settings since the unit can't be accessed.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset been performed with the Orbi base and satellite and setup from scratch? 

Walk thru this with the Orbi connected to the ISP FTTH. Power cycle the ISP FTTH after you reset the Orbi and its' coming back to to ready. Then begin the setup wizard. See if you get thru this with the wizard then get internet access thru the base first, then check satellite. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 5 of 7
mrsee
Tutor

Ad clearly stated, I have tried to perform a factory reset. But still, it seems like the router will not boot. And yes, I have tried rebooting the ISP GW etc. 

(Are your replies just something generic pasted in without reading the posts?)

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Please file a support ticket:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@mrsee wrote:

Ad clearly stated, I have tried to perform a factory reset. But still, it seems like the router will not boot. And yes, I have tried rebooting the ISP GW etc. 

(Are your replies just something generic pasted in without reading the posts?)

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7