Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't get full download speed from wired connection

opus123
Star

Can't get full download speed from wired connection

I've been playing around with this for the last few days.

My issue: I have the 1000 down plan from my cable co. I was renting their modem/router combo which I had the wireless turned off and had it going to my Orbi system. I had my personal pc and my son's pc hardwired directly to the cable modem/router. I would usually get between 900 to 950 down. I never tested the Orbi when I had the cable companys modem/router. A few weeks back I bought the Arris S33 modem so I had to move my pc and my son's to the Orbi since the Arris only has 1 port. I did a speed test from my pc, my wife's laptop and my work laptop and they all get around 300 down hard wired. I changed cables just to make sure that wasn't the issue and still 300 down. Plugged directly into the Arris modem and I got 1050 down. The internal speedtest in the Orbi router software gets 900 down. Today I remembered I still had my nighthawk R7900 router so I got it out and hooked it up to the Arris modem and still getting 300 down from it.

Both the routers and the modem have the latest firmware from the manufacturer. I've also hard reset both routers. I've run out of ideas on what good be causing the issue. It seems to me that a setting in the Arris modem may be the issue but no idea what it could be.

Thanks

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

15 second press of the reset button and release is all thats needed. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. Be sure to not enable Access Controls, Armor, Circle or Traffic Meter. Try a speed test with Ooklas installable speed test app with the wired PC. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 18

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Factory reset the orbi. 

Then during the install make sure to leave qos, access control, parental controls, and access controls disabled. 

After the initial setup, try testing the speeds. 

don't use the built in nighthhawk test app but use speedtest over a wired connection. 

What firmware version are you on? 

Message 2 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

And Traffic Meter.

Message 3 of 18
plemans
Guru

My bad. put access controls twice instead of traffic meter 🙂 

to much typing it out 

Message 4 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Why I love copy and paste. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 18
opus123
Star

@plemans wrote:

Factory reset the orbi. 

Then during the install make sure to leave qos, access control, parental controls, and access controls disabled. 

don't use the built in nighthhawk test app but use speedtest over a wired connection. 

Does a factory reset get rid of the prior speedtest numbers?  I've done one reset of the Orbi yesterday and everything seemed reset but on the qos screen it still showed the numbers from the last speedtest.

Message 6 of 18
opus123
Star

@plemans wrote:

Factory reset the orbi. 

Firmware is 2.7.2.104

I did another reset on the R7900 and It worked this time.  Getting full download speeds from it.   Still no luck on the Orbi.  I'm wondering if the reset really resets everything.  On the R7900 it reverted back to the admin/password login like it had never been setup.   With the Orbi a lot of settings are reverted back but it still wants my current login and some things such as the speedtest are still there with the last changes.  I held the reset button for 30 or 40 seconds.  I read something about a different reset method but several people said that is didn't work on the Orbi.

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

15 second press of the reset button and release is all thats needed. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. Be sure to not enable Access Controls, Armor, Circle or Traffic Meter. Try a speed test with Ooklas installable speed test app with the wired PC. 

Message 8 of 18
opus123
Star

I've done that several times, still get around 300 down.  When you reset, should it reset the password and the last  internal speed test?

Message 9 of 18
opus123
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I've done that several times, still get around 300 down. When you reset, should it reset the password and the last internal speed test?

Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

"I remembered I still had my nighthawk R7900 router so I got it out and hooked it up to the Arris modem and still getting 300 down from it.

Both the routers and the modem have the latest firmware from the manufacturer."

If two different routers are showing same results with this one particular modem, i'd proabably get into a different modem. 

Message 11 of 18
XL25A
Tutor

I tried to factory reset my RBR50 using the paperclip and 10 to 15 second recommendation I've seen here and in the manual. It would NOT give up the ghost. It still broadcast the wifi network under the name I had assigned it. It also continued to broadcast the guest network even though that was turned OFF. I even tried the ubiquitous 30 second power cycle theory. Nope

Finally, I gave up and purchased the 6 month support option.

The tech told me to hold the factory reset position for 45 seconds. This did the trick. Router started up in factory fresh condition. If I had known it took 45 seconds to "super reset" I wouldn't have had to purchase the support contract.

Sounds similar to what you are experiencing so give it a try and good luck!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

15 seconds is all thats needed mostly. Interesting about 45 seconds. 

Also using the RBRs ERASE function in the RBRs web page should work as well. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

@XL25A wrote:

I tried to factory reset my RBR50 using the paperclip and 10 to 15 second recommendation I've seen here and in the manual. It would NOT give up the ghost. It still broadcast the wifi network under the name I had assigned it. It also continued to broadcast the guest network even though that was turned OFF. I even tried the ubiquitous 30 second power cycle theory. Nope

Finally, I gave up and purchased the 6 month support option.

The tech told me to hold the factory reset position for 45 seconds. This did the trick. Router started up in factory fresh condition. If I had known it took 45 seconds to "super reset" I wouldn't have had to purchase the support contract.

Sounds similar to what you are experiencing so give it a try and good luck!

Message 13 of 18
opus123
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

"I remembered I still had my nighthawk R7900 router so I got it out and hooked it up to the Arris modem and still getting 300 down from it.

Both the routers and the modem have the latest firmware from the manufacturer."

If two different routers are showing same results with this one particular modem, i'd proabably get into a different modem. 

I finally got the R7900 to fully reset and now I'm getting 900+ down.   I haven't had a chace to try XL25A's suggestion yet.  I'm thinking I have the same problem as him since there are some items that are not resetting.  I'm not too concerned now since I've got my computer and my son's hardwired into the R7900.   I'm also considering upgrading to the RBK753 the next time Costco has them on sale.

Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Give it a try and let us know. The 50 series IS capable of 900Mpbs on the wire. 

Message 15 of 18
opus123
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Give it a try and let us know. The 50 series IS capable of 900Mpbs on the wire. 

Well, I gave the 45sec reset a try and nothing.   It didn't reset anything.  I then did the reset until it blinks a few times and finally after several trys it reset the orbi.   After going thru the initial setup I ran a speedtest and got 930 down.   I then enabled Circle and ran a speedtest and still got 930 down.   Not sure why it took so many times to get a full reset.  Maybe there is a time limit on how long you can have the reset button pushed.  

Thanks for all the help.

Message 16 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd try the ERASE function on the RBRs web page next time if needed. 

Be aware that circle can effect speeds and performance.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 18
opus123
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I'd try the ERASE function on the RBRs web page next time if needed. 

Be aware that circle can effect speeds and performance.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. Smiley Wink

I just tried my wifi connection on my pc and it made a huge jump also.  I was getting around 200 and now I'm getting 530 down.

Since searching for a solution to my problem I noticed a lot of people having the same type issue.  I know from a percentage of people with the problem vs total Orbi's in use it is probably miniscule.  Just wondering if you had a theory on what was causing this?   I came up with my own theory.   When I got the orbi a few years back, 300 down was the max offered by my ISP and that of course is what I signed up for.   So the initial setup of the orbi was done at 300 down.  Since then the ISP went up to 600 (they required a new modem at this point) and then to 1gig.   The provided modem always had several ports so I just used those for my wired connection instead of the Orbi so never worried about the wired connections on the orbi.   I'm thinking even though I did the speedtest to tell the orbi I now had higher speeds for some reason it never actually updated the initial setup speed of 300 down.   That is why I always topped out at 300 down when I was hardwired to the orbi.  Now that I finally got it reset and it went thru the initial setup again it now has the 1gig speed as the top speed instead of 300.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7