Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't get orbi to connect to the internet

seriousreindeer
Follower

Can't get orbi to connect to the internet

I'm currently with Vodafone for my internet and bought the Orbi system to improve my wifi but I can't get it to connect to the internet. Vodafone are useless customer service wise and seem incapable of providing me with my PPPoE user name and password so I tried connecting the orbi to the vodafone router and switched off the wifi on said router. 

Connect everything up, all the satelites connect but it just won't connect to the internet yet my Apple airport extreme does when connected the same way.

Please help I'm more than a little frustrated that this is proving so hard to set up

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can't get orbi to connect to the internet

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try option #2 first, then if that fails, try #3...

Message 2 of 3
ekhalil
Master

Re: Can't get orbi to connect to the internet

@seriousreindeer wrote:

I'm currently with Vodafone for my internet and bought the Orbi system to improve my wifi but I can't get it to connect to the internet. Vodafone are useless customer service wise and seem incapable of providing me with my PPPoE user name and password so I tried connecting the orbi to the vodafone router and switched off the wifi on said router. 

Connect everything up, all the satelites connect but it just won't connect to the internet yet my Apple airport extreme does when connected the same way.

Please help I'm more than a little frustrated that this is proving so hard to set up

In Orbi VLAN settings, you need to configure the PPPoE username and password, and also set the vlan tag to 101 (if it's Vodafone UK 🙂 ).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7