Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't get wireless speeds over 200mbps on RBK40

Can't get wireless speeds over 200mbps on RBK40

Hi everyone. I have an RBK40 system with 1x satellite.  I recently upgraded to a 400/40 plan with my ISP (previous was 200/20).  Speeds from router to modem are maxing at plan speeds -- no issues!  Speeds are even perfect with hardwired NAS and PC.  Again, no issues.

The problem I'm having is via wireless. None of my wireless N devices will exceed more than just a little over 200mbps down (upload speeds are fine).  Should I expect to get more than 200mbps down?  I've tested on iPhone 7s, iPads, and laptops. 

Here's the configuration I have for both the router and the satellite.  I'm also running latest firmware (V2.0.0.58):

Orbi Satellite WiFi Status (5GHz)

• Name (SSID): *****
  • Channel: 36+40+44+48(P)
  • Region: North America
  • Mode: Up to 866.7 Mbps
  • Wireless AP: On
  • Broadcast Name: On
  • Security Type: WPA2-PSK[AES]

Orbi Satellite WiFi Status (2.4GHz)

• Name (SSID): *****
  • Channel: 9
  • Region: North America
  • Mode: Up to 400 Mbps
  • Wireless AP: On
  • Broadcast Name: On
  • Security Type: WPA2-PSK[AES]
Message 1 of 4

Bump
Message 2 of 4
st_shaw
Master

Not sure if you really meant it, but you said wireless N.  Most N devices are limited to a link rate of 450 Mbps.   The most you will get is 50% to 60% of the link rate as throughput, so 200 Mbps would be about right.

With my iPhone 7+, an 802.11ac device, and an Orbi RBR50 I can get ~470 Mbps throughput if I'm a few feet from the router.

In any case, if you are getting 200 Mbps on your mobile devices via WiFi then I don't think you have any serious issues to worry about.

Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply!  I meant to say 5G...not wireless N.  Completely different -- sorry for the confusion!

I can't get more than 200mbps on my iPhone even if I'm right next to the router and/or satellite.  I'm not overly concerned, but if I can/should be getting faster speeds I'd like to know how I can/why it's not working.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7